Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Joseph Hartman

Default restrict DHCP addresses?

Hi all, I've got the new lab up and running, 30 P4 w/ 512 MB RAM on an 8 core Xeon server w/ 6 GB RAM running Karmic, works like a charm. Got all the clients shutting down at 7, server shuts down at 7:30, I even got iTalc up and running on the server, a little slow with the demo mode, craps out from time to time, but the "lock screen" works great and impressed the pants off the faculty after our meeting on Wednesday. Couldn't have done it without y'all, so thanks very much.

So here's my question:

Is there a way to restrict the number of IP addresses the server assigns to match the number of clients? For example, if I have 6 clients, can I tell the server to assign just 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.6? And can I then use those IP addresses in my lts.conf to set up autologin or guestlogin?

Right now I've got all the clients in my lts.conf under their MAC addresses and "LDM_GUESTLOGIN = True" and this works perfectly. The kids just click the button, and they are logged in. No problems.

Now that I'm setting up classroom servers though, I would prefer to just create an image of a server and clone it out to the rest, but I can't do that if I have to find the MAC addresses of all the clients in each person's room. It would be easier to just set up guest logins for a few different IP addresses, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Best Regards, -Joe

Old 03-20-2010, 12:16 AM
ekul taylor

To do this you would edit the dhcp server config file to only have as many addresses as you have clients. *The downside is if you ever add another client you have to increase the address space so I'm not sure I would shrink it all the way down.

Back to your initial question, the file you need to edit is /etc/dhcp3/dhcp.conf. *You are interested in the "range" line that tells the dhcp server what pool of addresses it should assign from. *You would set that to whatever you want and then restart the dhcp server with:
/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restartAssuming it starts okay (you can make sure in /var/log/daemon.log) you'd be all set.