Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM
dbclinton

Default ipcop and network settings

Hi,
I've put a PC running the Ipcop firewall between the Internet and my
Edubuntu thin client server (Intrepid). The network card that connects
Ipcop to my server (green) has these settings:
=================
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:A1:1E:73:90
inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:369386 (360.7 KB) TX bytes:1424440 (1.3 MB)
Interrupt:12 Base address:0xe800
=================
To get my server to play nicely with Ipcop, I had to disable
my /etc/network/interfaces file - which looked like this:
=================
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
dns-search clinton

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
===================

...which got me talking nicely to Ipcop but which also, of course,
brought my thin clients to a screaming halt.
So I assume I have to reconfigure my server settings. My first question
is: which ip settings can I safely use?
Next, besides /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf, are
there any other files I'll have to know about?
With thanks as always,
David Clinton

Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 AM
dbclinton

In case this is useful to anyone, I've worked out my configuration and
Ipcop is getting along just fine alongside my thin client network. I
simply removed any mention of eth0 (the Ipcop NIC) from
/etc/network/interfaces, allowing Ipcop to control it, and then ran
interfaces (maintaining the original 192.168.0.254 address of eth1) to
take care of the ltsp configuration.
Now that I'm configuring the firewall itself, however, I wonder why
there isn't an easier way to really block users from dancing right
around the proxy walls. Wouldn't this be a rather serious concern of
anyone deploying to large educational environments? Unless you do some
pretty unconventional configuring, all it would take for a kid to break
out to a wide-open Internet is to set Firefox to "no proxy"!
Has this bothered anyone? Isn't there a more straightforward fix than
adding custom rules to iptables?
David