Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Farid Ansari

Default Fwd: Ububtu 10.04 alpha 3

I downloaded the alpha 3 and burned it on cd but could not install it although the cd was checked and it worked as ' live '. Then did a full install of Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded it to the 10.04 alpha 3 which works flawlessly.

Just cannot wait for the distribution release.
People desiring to try the new alpha may follow the procedure adopted by me.
Cheers,
Farid Ansari
Karachi, Pakistan

Old 03-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Karl Larsen

On 03/06/2010 02:02 AM, Farid Ansari wrote:

I downloaded the alpha 3 and burned it on cd but could not install
it although the cd was checked and it worked as ' live '. Then did
a full install of Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded it to the 10.04 alpha 3
which works flawlessly.

Just cannot wait for the distribution release.

People desiring to try the new alpha may follow the procedure
adopted by me.

Cheers,

Farid Ansari

Karachi, Pakistan

*** *** I am using 10.04 from the first alpha which I loaded in a new
partition. It loaded and ran well from the start. I used the alpha cd
which I made with the .iso file. I expect your CD must not be right
somehow.

73 Karl

Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
sdavmor

On 03/06/2010 01:02 AM, Farid Ansari wrote:

> *I downloaded the alpha 3 and burned it on cd but could not install
> it although the cd was checked and it worked as ' live '. Then*
> *did a full install of Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded it to the 10.04
> alpha 3 which works flawlessly.* *Just cannot wait for the
> distribution release.* *People desiring to try the new alpha may
> follow the procedure adopted by me. Cheers, Farid Ansari Karachi,
> Pakistan*

I'm going to be a good boy this time around and have nothing to do
with upgrading to Lucid until 45-60 days after its release. Just for
once I'm going to wait until a production release has settled down
before I'll move to it. Cross my heart and hope to die!
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 03-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Karl Larsen

On 03/07/2010 12:05 PM, sdavmor wrote:
> On 03/06/2010 01:02 AM, Farid Ansari wrote:
>
>> *I downloaded the alpha 3 and burned it on cd but could not install
>> it although the cd was checked and it worked as ' live '. Then*
>> *did a full install of Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded it to the 10.04
>> alpha 3 which works flawlessly.* *Just cannot wait for the
>> distribution release.* *People desiring to try the new alpha may
>> follow the procedure adopted by me. Cheers, Farid Ansari Karachi,
>> Pakistan*
>>
> I'm going to be a good boy this time around and have nothing to do
> with upgrading to Lucid until 45-60 days after its release. Just for
> once I'm going to wait until a production release has settled down
> before I'll move to it. Cross my heart and hope to die!

I loaded the Lucid Alpha 1 but it was also the AMC64 bit version.
It loaded just fine and I got 170 updates this Sunday. What I have will
be the Beta version soon. I think all told I must have well over a 1000
updates so far.

73 Karl

Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Amedee Van Gasse

On 06-03-10 10:02, Farid Ansari wrote:

> *I downloaded the alpha 3 and burned it on cd but could not install it
> although the cd was checked and it worked as ' live '. Then* *did a full
> install of Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded it to the 10.04 alpha 3 which works
> flawlessly.*
> *Just cannot wait for the distribution release.*
> *People desiring to try the new alpha may follow the procedure adopted
> by me.

If you understand Dutch, you may be interested in my blog post about
upgrading to Lucid:
http://amedee.be/i-love-lucy

In short:
1) upgrade with 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d'
2) fglrx doesn't work yet, change to ati
3) edit xorg.conf to set the size of the virtual desktop for xrandr

Old 03-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Tom H

> If you understand Dutch, you may be interested in my blog post about
> upgrading to Lucid:
> http://amedee.be/i-love-lucy

> In short:
> 1) upgrade with 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d'
> 2) fglrx doesn't work yet, change to ati
> 3) edit xorg.conf to set the size of the virtual desktop for xrandr

If you are running the desktop edition, you will need to run
sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop -d
unless the Karmic version of do-release-upgrade has stopped defaulting
to its server mode.

You can also use the "Debian way" and change
/etc/apt/sources.list
to Lucid and run
sudo aptitude full-upgrade
if you do not have do-release-upgrade installed

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Jaxxed

I've just recently installed the kubuntu-10.04 alpha 3 from live-usb, and got
it installed properly. I did get some problems with the installer crashing
when re-patitioning the disk, but everything else worked well. You might want
to report more about the installation problem to the ubiquity guys (as I
should myself come to think about it.