FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Yves Pennec
 
Default FLASH PLAYER OR EQUIVALENT

I have shifted to Linux-Ubuntu.

Problem : can't read videos with Firefox or Chrome. I have found some sofwtare (like Adobe Flash Player) but I am totally unable to install it.

Can anyone send me a detailed step by step procedure ?


On windows it was so easy.



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default FLASH PLAYER OR EQUIVALENT

Hi,

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010, Yves Pennec wrote:

> I have shifted to Linux-Ubuntu.
>
> Problem : can't read videos with Firefox or Chrome. I have found some
> sofwtare (like Adobe Flash Player) but I am totally unable to install it.
>
> Can anyone send me a detailed step by step procedure ?

Generally in Ubuntu, the way to install software is using the "Synaptic
Package Manager" under the System->Administration menu.

1. Start Synaptic (you'll probably be asked for your password).
2. Click search and enter "flashplugin-nonfree"
3. If it finds it, you need to right-click on it and click "Mark for
installation". On the toolbar, click "Apply". The package should
download and install itself.
4. If the package isn't found, you might need to click
Settings->Repositories and tick the boxes to enable the "universe" and
"multiverse" repositories and click "apply" on the toolbar.

> On windows it was so easy.

When you change operating sytem you'll naturally find things are a little
unfamiliar. In Ubuntu, packages are generally installed using the package
manager. This may seem a little unusual, but if you explore the program,
you'll see how powerful it is. In that one program you download, add and
remove all software in the Ubuntu archive (which is a very large amount of
software).

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM
alan c
 
Default FLASH PLAYER OR EQUIVALENT

Yves Pennec wrote:
> I have shifted to Linux-Ubuntu.
>
> Problem : can't read videos with Firefox or Chrome. I have found some
> sofwtare (like Adobe Flash Player) but I am totally unable to install it.
>
> Can anyone send me a detailed step by step procedure ?
> On windows it was so easy.

Welcome!

Ubuntu 'restricted extras'
will do the trick , it is available from the add/remove item
Applications>Add/remove
restricted extras
(or just type in restricted to find the item)

That way you will be using packages which have been prepared by a team
who (mostly) will check stuff ok for Ubuntu.

Try to avoid using items which have been found outside of the ubuntu
libraries ('repositories'). It may be ok, but on the other hand it may
be untrustworthy in a big way.

have fun

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Bill Moseley
 
Default FLASH PLAYER OR EQUIVALENT

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM, alan c <aeclist@candt.waitrose.com> wrote:




Ubuntu 'restricted extras'

will do the trick , it is available from the add/remove item

Applications>Add/remove

restricted extras

(or just type in restricted to find the item)

Is*http://www.medibuntu.org/ still the recommended way to get Ubuntu to play just about any media format?



*
--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Yves Pennec
 
Default FLASH PLAYER OR EQUIVALENT

I finally found my way through Synaptic.

Thanks to all who replied, it was really helpful.
Now I'd like to use my wifi n dongle (EMTEK EKCOWI300) but could not find a clue on where to find a driver, for the time being, I have bought a 5m* LAN cable, but aesthically speaking it is no what I want.



BY Yves

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:


Hi,



On Sat, 06 Mar 2010, Yves Pennec wrote:



> I have shifted to Linux-Ubuntu.

>

> Problem : can't read videos with Firefox or Chrome. I have found some

> sofwtare (like Adobe Flash Player) but I am totally unable to install it.

>

> Can anyone send me a detailed step by step procedure ?



Generally in Ubuntu, the way to install software is using the "Synaptic

Package Manager" under the System->Administration menu.



1. Start Synaptic (you'll probably be asked for your password).

2. Click search and enter "flashplugin-nonfree"

3. If it finds it, you need to right-click on it and click "Mark for

* installation". *On the toolbar, click "Apply". *The package should

* download and install itself.

4. If the package isn't found, you might need to click

* Settings->Repositories and tick the boxes to enable the "universe" and

* "multiverse" repositories and click "apply" on the toolbar.



> On windows it was so easy.



When you change operating sytem you'll naturally find things are a little

unfamiliar. *In Ubuntu, packages are generally installed using the package

manager. *This may seem a little unusual, but if you explore the program,

you'll see how powerful it is. *In that one program you download, add and

remove all software in the Ubuntu archive (which is a very large amount of

software).



Gavin





--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default FLASH PLAYER OR EQUIVALENT

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010, Yves Pennec wrote:

> I finally found my way through Synaptic.
>
> Thanks to all who replied, it was really helpful.
> Now I'd like to use my wifi n dongle (EMTEK EKCOWI300) but could not find a
> clue on where to find a driver, for the time being, I have bought a 5m LAN
> cable, but aesthically speaking it is no what I want.

Could you post the output of the command "lspci -v" so we can see the
description of your card?

Gavin



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org