Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
David Groos

Default local apps question

Hey Dave,

While I sure don't understand the commands below (a guy who helped me set up localapps did this and I never figured it out), I've gained some experience messing around with them.* For an app to launch as a localapp from an icon (either located on the desktop or embedded in the top panel bar), there has to be the proper command associated with the icon.* To find where that command is and see if it's correct, right click on the icon and select, 'properties'.* Then, look at 'Command' field.* To get Firefox 3.5 to boot as a localapp I have to have this command entered just like this:

xprop -root -f LTSP_COMMAND 8s -set LTSP_COMMAND "firefox-3.5 %u"

If I just have the following command entered, it will launch the (system default?) older, Firefox 3.0.x version:
xprop -root -f LTSP_COMMAND 8s -set LTSP_COMMAND "firefox %u"

To get the application, CmapTools to launch as a localapp I've got to provide the client's local address--ie the address on the chroot--of the executable I want to launch:
xprop -root -f LTSP_COMMAND 8s -set LTSP_COMMAND "sh /usr/lib/IHMC_CmapTools/bin/CmapTools"

Hope that helps your situation.* Wish I knew what these commands meant!
David