Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Uwe Geercken

Default Advice on getting a computer lab server

Joe,

I just built our Core2 Quad and will install it in the school tomorrow
and do the first tests. It has 4GB Dual Channel DDR-800 Ram, Gigabit
Network and 700 GB Samsung 16Mb Harddisk. the clients (around 20) are
"Windows" machines which are used during normal school hours. the
linux server is used for after school classes, which I do once a week
with kids from 7th/8th class.

let me know when I can test something specifically for you.

rgds,

uwe

Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 AM
"Joseph Hartman"

Hi Uwe,

That new setup sounds great! I'm mostly just interested in your own opinions of the new lab. Is it as fast as you thought it would be? Are you happy with the performance? Are the kids happy with the speed and responsiveness of the machines? What kind of programs are you running with them? Just general answers will suffice for me right now I think. Eventually I'll really do the dirty work and maybe post again on what I'm thinking about getting and for how much $$$.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone else on the list who responded to my queries. I'm delighted to make contact with some other people in situations similar to mine and I'm sorry I have not responded until now. Between my wife's birthday and the Chargers game on Sunday my weekend was pretty booked. (I hope there aren't too many Indianapolis fans on the list, you guys will always have 2007). Thanks again everyone, see you at CUE or SCaLE if you make it! Oh, and I've already RSVPd for the Shuttleworth talk in San Francisco in March if anyone else is going. Cheers -joe

Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Uwe Geercken

Joseph,

this afternoon I will run the first tests with about 6 kids (12/13
years old). I preconfigured the server at home and have tested some
games also. my kids e.g. like to play frozen-bubble. they are really
crazy about it. at the end of the last year, I made a competition with
them and bought some (small) prices. the winner was the one who got to
the highest level. they will also be able to play against each other
now - that will be fun...

other than that, I showed them the basic stuff like moving and copying
files, creating directories, etc. we made some gimp sessions (to
manipulate pictures for a calendar 2008) and we did some
word-processing. I want to continue with them in this direction and
end at scribus, so that we are able to create our own flyer to show
what we are doing in the linux course.

I really like to work with the kids. surprisingly I have more girls
than boys. they are open to new things they learn things quickly and
they do it in their free time.

I will send a summary tonight hopefully, latest tomorrow. I have
created the documentation about the server componentes and how it was
built (18 pages), but it is in german for the moment. I need to find
some time to re-write it in english...

rgds,

uwe

Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Uwe Geercken

I have installed the server this afternoon. All I had to do was to
change the IP settings from the ones that I used to experiment with at
home and run a ltsp-update-image.

the server started and I booted the 15 available (Windows) clients.
all ok. performance is very good at first glance. unfortunately I did
not have enough time today to do more tests, so I will have to defer
them to next week, because I had a talk with a teacher, the head of
school and a woman from the parents representatives (don't know how
this is called in english). so time ran away.

I already had some curious kids poking around and asking "what is
Edubuntu", because it was visible on all the screens. Before I had a
max of 6 Kids becuase I had six old PC's with very old screens. Now I
can make larger groups, we have a beamer and a big whiteboard. looks
very promissing.

Setting up printing to the network printer HP 3600 was easy and works fine.

The performance tests I will make next week in the classroom. I will
start slow and add more applications to see how it works. I had made
some tests with a laptop in the past. at that time I had thought I
could get around with a 3GHz machine. but it had too little memory and
a 100Gbit netowork card. after the third kid started, the performance
dropped. so I stopped it.

applications we run so far as follows:
- open office
- scribus
- inkscape
- gimp
- frozen bubble
- crack attack (my favorite ;-))
- Sudoku

we will get a decent Internet connection in February, so I will spend
some time on Firefox, ftp, security, etc with them

I also want to do some basic programming maybe on the shell, or java.
I don't know yet and it depends on the kids of course.

my main objective though is to get them used to linux in general:
moving around, coping, creating or deleting files and folders and
create some documents or flyers or tables.

enough for the moment. I have uploaded the pdf dokument of the server,
showing its componets and the build process, for anyone who is
interested, BUT it is in german for the moment.

http://datamelt.com/java-datamelt/linux%20server%20selbstbau.pdf

so much for today. I think about setting up a web site sort of blog
for documenting in more detail and constantly providing information on
the status.

thanks friends and hope to get some feedback too.

rgds,

uwe