Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
David Groos

Default New Lab

Hi Anthony,
In my classroom I'm using an older 2-chip, dual core (total of 4 processors) server running at 2.8 GHz.* This server is running Jaunty.* It has just 3 gigs of RAM on it.* I've got 16 Pentium 4's, each with 512 MB on it running as it's thin clients.* I'm running firefox locally.* I don't use Flash much though it (finally) works ok though sound on our system is messed up.* We do do online simulations which are often java based--this all happens as a localapp--and they work fine.* We also run CmapTools as a localapp.* I might be running OpenOffice locally (I'm trying to) but haven't been successful checking.

Until I was running these apps as localapps, my whole system was pretty slow--requiring user patience (often not getting it with good grace!).* However, since using localapps, even 2 at a time, things are just fine, just as fast as my dual-core mac.* Kids have rarely complained about things being slow since I started to use localapps on Jaunty.

When the other class tries to boot their thin clients using my server, that is when I get too many clients booted against it, the server slows down but if I had more ram (working to get some right now) I'm sure I could run the 32 users just as easily as the 16 because all are using localapps.

Good luck,
David