Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Anthony Luscre

Default New Lab

We currently have 3 LTSP labs running ranging in age from 3 to 6 years old.
Everything has been way toooooo slow!!! over last 18 months, so we are planning on redoing it all.

I am trying to decide on a few items:

What to use for thin (or fat) clients so that Firefox and OO can run fast enough to satisfy users. I am thinking of using either the Intel dual core Atom D510 & motherboard with 2 GB of RAM or Intel dual core Atom 330 & motherboard with 2 GB of RAM (my top budget per client must be under $265 each and must be new not refurb units according to directive from Superintendent and Treasurer)

Do I need to run fat clients, to get good performance (there will be approximately 35 clients per server with Gigabyte switches.
What do I need server wise? My current newest server is a three year old HP Operon Quad processor with 13 GB of RAM.

What version/distro of software should I install on server, that is stable but still has newer features?.

--
Anthony A. Luscre
Director of Technology

330-628-7255