Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Sameer Verma

Default LTSP 5.2 and localapps

1) I hope this list is still ok for Ubuntu+LTSP issues. If not, please
let me know which list is more appropriate.

2) I have added the LTSP 5.2 PPA for karmic and followed instructions
for localapps from XXXXX. It works well if I have
LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS = firefox but if I add other apps like
LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS = firefox, audacity, inkscape, gimp (all
installed in the chroot) the browser reverts to getting executed on
the server.

Any pointers?

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems

Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 AM
Sameer Verma

XXXXX=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSPKarmicLocalAppsFirefox

Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
David Groos

Hi Sameer,

Had any luck on this yet?
Probably nothing, but I did notice that in your post you put a space after each comma on the LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS= line and on the sample provided in the page you linked to there was no space there.* I still don't really get the inner workings of local-apps well enough to know if that's important.* Good luck.

David

Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Sameer Verma

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sameer,
>
> Had any luck on this yet?
> Probably nothing, but I did notice that in your post you put a space after
> each comma on the LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS= line and on the sample provided in
> the page you linked to there was no space there.* I still don't really get
> the inner workings of local-apps well enough to know if that's important.
> Good luck.
>
> David

Haven't tried the no-spaces hack yet. Will let you know. Building
fat-client right now. Evidently we have fatclient and fat-client. As
far as I can tell, fat-client is nubae's stuff
(http://www.nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid).

Sameer

Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Sameer Verma

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sameer,
>>
>> Had any luck on this yet?
>> Probably nothing, but I did notice that in your post you put a space after
>> each comma on the LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS= line and on the sample provided in
>> the page you linked to there was no space there.* I still don't really get
>> the inner workings of local-apps well enough to know if that's important.
>> Good luck.
>>
>> David

So, I tried the localapps approach without spaces, but it doesn't
work. I used LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS=firefox,audacity and checked the
menu items in the thin client, but these remain unchanged.

Sameer

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Sameer,
>>>
>>> Had any luck on this yet?
>>> Probably nothing, but I did notice that in your post you put a space after
>>> each comma on the LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS= line and on the sample provided in
>>> the page you linked to there was no space there.* I still don't really get
>>> the inner workings of local-apps well enough to know if that's important.
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

> So, I tried the localapps approach without spaces, but it doesn't
> work. I used LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS=firefox,audacity and checked the
> menu items in the thin client, but these remain unchanged.
>
> Sameer

I must also mention that i am on Karmic without LTSP5.2 I am using
LTSP that comes with Karmic now (no PPA). Any help with multiple
localapps will be great.

Sameer

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:

>> So, I tried the localapps approach without spaces, but it doesn't
>> work. I used LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS=firefox,audacity and checked the
>> menu items in the thin client, but these remain unchanged.
>>
>> Sameer
>>

> I must also mention that i am on Karmic without LTSP5.2 I am using
> LTSP that comes with Karmic now (no PPA). Any help with multiple
> localapps will be great.
>
> Sameer

Stop the press!!! I'm seeing a strange config. The localapps string
with commas works, but not if I log into the thin client using the
main admin/sudo account. The menu items all show localapps menu items
in all the other accounts, but not in the main account. I'm off to
class, but will investigate this further.

Sameer

Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Stéphane Graber

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 15:38 -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:

> >> So, I tried the localapps approach without spaces, but it doesn't
> >> work. I used LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS=firefox,audacity and checked the
> >> menu items in the thin client, but these remain unchanged.
> >>
> >> Sameer
> >>

> > I must also mention that i am on Karmic without LTSP5.2 I am using
> > LTSP that comes with Karmic now (no PPA). Any help with multiple
> > localapps will be great.
> >
> > Sameer
> >

> Stop the press!!! I'm seeing a strange config. The localapps string
> with commas works, but not if I log into the thin client using the
> main admin/sudo account. The menu items all show localapps menu items
> in all the other accounts, but not in the main account. I'm off to
> class, but will investigate this further.
>
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, Information Systems
> Director, Campus Business Solutions
> San Francisco State University
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
> http://is.sfsu.edu/

Hello,

It might be worth noting that these menu items work by inheriting.
I don't remember the exact order where we apply them in LTSP but it's
possible that this user has "negative" entries in its .config/menus/
directory that'd prevent the localapps entries from showing up.

Alternatively, some permission issues might be a source for that issue
as well.

Can you try making a backup of that user's home directory, then empty it
completely and try logging in ?

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer