Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
David Hopkins

Default nautilus brower icon missing?

If has been brought to my attention that on none of the students using the new server (Edubuntu 9.10, LTSP5) have a Nautilus browser icon on their desktops anymore.* I have no idea why it would disappear.* Students that have not logged onto the new server still have the icon (e.g. those still on the servers using CentOS/LTSP4.2). So, how do I get the icon added back to the Desktop for all users?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 08:22:17AM -0500, David Hopkins wrote:
> If has been brought to my attention that on none of the students using the
> new server (Edubuntu 9.10, LTSP5) have a Nautilus browser icon on their
> desktops anymore. I have no idea why it would disappear. Students that
> have not logged onto the new server still have the icon (e.g. those still on
> the servers using CentOS/LTSP4.2). So, how do I get the icon added back to
> the Desktop for all users?

Well, really, you don't need it since Ubuntu has the "Places" menu.
Places->Home Folder, etc.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | I have nothing definite to apologize for,
Systems Department | I'm just sorry about everything in general.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 07:54:30AM -0600, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 08:22:17AM -0500, David Hopkins wrote:
> > If has been brought to my attention that on none of the students using the
> > new server (Edubuntu 9.10, LTSP5) have a Nautilus browser icon on their
> > desktops anymore. I have no idea why it would disappear. Students that
> > have not logged onto the new server still have the icon (e.g. those still on
> > the servers using CentOS/LTSP4.2). So, how do I get the icon added back to
> > the Desktop for all users?
>
> Well, really, you don't need it since Ubuntu has the "Places" menu.
> Places->Home Folder, etc.

However, if you DID want to, you could set some mandatory gconf keys:

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
--type boolean
--set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
--type boolean
--set /apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible true

The next time the user logs in, they should have them on the desktop.

Make sure the user's gconfd dies.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | The human race has one really effective weapon,
Systems Department | and that is laughter.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
David Hopkins

> Well, really, you don't need it since Ubuntu has the "Places" menu.

> Places->Home Folder, etc.

I can try to get the users to use the menu as opposed to expecting an icon on the desktop.* Students aren't likely to be an issue, but the teachers ... that is a different story. Anytime something doesn't behave or have a feature 'just like Windows' they get antsy.

However, if you DID want to, you could set some mandatory gconf keys:

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source

* xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory

* --type boolean

* --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source

* xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory

* --type boolean

* --set /apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible true

The next time the user logs in, they should have them on the desktop.

Make sure the user's gconfd dies.

Thanks! * I'll try this.* Though is this going to be an issue with the users still moving between LTSP5/LTSP4.2 along with Edubuntu 9.10 and CentOS 5.4? e.g. finding conflicts between how gnome behaves on the systems? I suspect I have some surprises still waiting for me.

I do like Edubuntu 9.10 though. *

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:19:02AM -0500, David Hopkins wrote:

> Thanks! I'll try this. Though is this going to be an issue with the users
> still moving between LTSP5/LTSP4.2 along with Edubuntu 9.10 and CentOS 5.4?
> e.g. finding conflicts between how gnome behaves on the systems? I suspect I
> have some surprises still waiting for me.

Well, I suspect you're going to have several differences:

1) Centos 5.4 has Gnome-2.16, whereas you're on Gnome-2.28 with Karmic.
There's been changes in GNOME obviously.
2) Centos probably default-configures GNOME differently than Ubuntu does.
Ubuntu tends to try do "discourage" icons on the desktop, since this means you
have to minimize/move out of the way applications that are covering up the
icons in order to be able to use them, with the preference towards having
things show up in either the top or bottom panel, which are always visible.
So, in order to get "icons on the desktop" you need to do some *extra* stuff to
get them to show up.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Spafford’s Law of Security: If you have responsibility for
Systems Department | security, but no authority to make changes, then you’re