Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Craig Birrell

Default Help with setting up Edubuntu Server and Client

Hi

I am new to linux, but I have set up a small network with Ubuntu. I'd
like to set up a Edubuntu Server and client to make use of 2 old
computers.

I have attempted to get things working with out success. I have install
Edubuntu 7.10 which has 2 network cards. One card is connected to the
ADSL router (Dlink 514) (static ip set 192.1068.0.254) and the other
(no ip set) is connected to a 10/100 switch. I have attempted to
connect a computer (BIOS set for network boot) to the 10/100 switch -
no luck. I believe the Dlink 514 router has dhcp activated, if that
makes a difference. There are other computers also connected to the
Dlink ADSL router.

I have read a number of articles on Edubuntu and Ubuntu forum, the more
I read the more confused I get

I would appreciated some help* - these are some of my questions, please
feel free to add suggestions-

Once Edubuntu is installed, is there anything else that needs to
be activated, such as the server or anything for the client?
Do any changes or setting need to be made for* dhcp settings?
Booting clients, I have read about network booting, but how is it
possible to boot from a cd or from a harddrive?
With the setup I have is there any specific setting or changes I
should make following the install?

Thanks

Craig

--

*

Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
"Charles Austin"

I am new to linux, but I have set up a small network with Ubuntu. I'd
like to set up a Edubuntu Server and client to make use of 2 old
computers.
Welcome!* Give it some time, and you will love it.

I have attempted to get things working with out success. I have install
Edubuntu 7.10 which has 2 network cards. One card is connected to the
ADSL router (Dlink 514) (static ip set 192.1068.0.254) and the other
(no ip set) is connected to a 10/100 switch. I have attempted to
connect a computer (BIOS set for network boot) to the 10/100 switch -
no luck. I believe the Dlink 514 router has dhcp activated, if that
makes a difference.
You need to turn that off, and assign a static IP to your server.* 192.168.0.2 is the "default" that some of the thin client scripts are expecting.

There are other computers also connected to the
Dlink ADSL router.
As long as DHCP is off on the router, that is fine for a small* number of clients.

I have read a number of articles on Edubuntu and Ubuntu forum, the more
I read the more confused I get

I would appreciated some help* - these are some of my questions, please
feel free to add suggestions-

Once Edubuntu is installed, is there anything else that needs to
be activated, such as the server or anything for the client?Just a few things left to do manually after the install:
copy /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/doc/ltsp-client-core/examples/lts.conf to /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/

Do any changes or setting need to be made for* dhcp settings?You might need to check the /etc/ltsp/dhcp.conf file to make sure it
has the right settings for your network.* If you make changes to it,
restart dhcp:* sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart
*
Make sure DHCP is off in your DSL modem.

Booting clients, I have read about network booting, but how is it
possible to boot from a cd or from a harddrive?Boot from a cd is easier, in my opinion.* Google for gpxe - you have to download a package and run it in order to make the cds, but the end result is pretty much bullet proof.

With the setup I have is there any specific setting or changes I
should make following the install?
Depends on your environment* - only if you have problems.

Thanks

Craig

Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
"Denis Melnikov"

Hi,

2008/1/9, Craig Birrell <craig@worklifematters.com.au>:

> Hi
> I am new to linux, but I have set up a small network with Ubuntu. I'd like
> to set up a Edubuntu Server and client to make use of 2 old computers.
>
> I have attempted to get things working with out success. I have install
> Edubuntu 7.10 which has 2 network cards. One card is connected to the ADSL
> router (Dlink 514) (static ip set 192.1068.0.254) and the other (no ip set)
> is connected to a 10/100 switch. I have attempted to connect a computer
> (BIOS set for network boot) to the 10/100 switch - no luck. I believe the
> Dlink 514 router has dhcp activated, if that makes a difference. There are
> other computers also connected to the Dlink ADSL router.
>
> I have read a number of articles on Edubuntu and Ubuntu forum, the more I
> read the more confused I get
>
> I would appreciated some help - these are some of my questions, please
> feel free to add suggestions-
>

> Once Edubuntu is installed, is there anything else that needs to be
> activated, such as the server or anything for the client?

1st, you should assign static IP to 2nd NIC (connected to the switch),
e.g. 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 (not 192.168.0.x).

> Do any changes or setting need to be made for dhcp settings?

2nd, setup DHCP server for LTSP (/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf) according to
the IP address above.
Now run dhcpd, `/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server start`.

> Booting clients, I have read about network booting, but how is it possible
> to boot from a cd or from a harddrive?

Good starting point is: http://rom-o-matic.net/

Denis

Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 AM
wayne

Charles Austin wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 4:39 PM, Craig Birrell <craig@worklifematters.com.au
> <mailto:craig@worklifematters.com.au>> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I am new to linux, but I have set up a small network with Ubuntu.
Hi and Welcome!

> I have attempted to get things working with out success. I have
> install Edubuntu 7.10 which has 2 network cards. One card is
> connected to the ADSL router (Dlink 514) (static ip set
> 192.1068.0.254) and the other (no ip set) is connected to a 10/100
> switch. I have attempted to connect a computer (BIOS set for network
> boot) to the 10/100 switch - no luck. I believe the Dlink 514 router
> has dhcp activated, if that makes a difference.

Option 1< Ok, It's not necessary to turn off the dlinks dhcp because all
dhcp requests will be terminated here, On the server lets say eth0 (
card connected to dlink) set to dhcp to recieve it's inet ip and have
net access, Done, The other dlink clients live obliviously on. Then
for your edubuntu clients side eth1( card connected to your 10/100 must
have a static IP set ie' 192.168.1.1 ,Done.
Now your dhcp server setup /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf should be activated on
eth1 *only*. If u did a default install it should might just be needed
to change the IP's refered in this file to whatever u decide.

> You need to turn that off, and assign a static IP to your server.
> 192.168.0.2 <http://192.168.0.2> is the "default" that some of the thin
> client scripts are expecting.
>
> There are other computers also connected to the Dlink ADSL router.
>

> As long as DHCP is off on the router, that is fine for a small number
> of clients.
>

> I have read a number of articles on Edubuntu and Ubuntu forum, the
> more I read the more confused I get
>
> I would appreciated some help - these are some of my questions,
> please feel free to add suggestions-
>
> 1. Once Edubuntu is installed, is there anything else that needs
> to be activated, such as the server or anything for the client?
>
> Just a few things left to do manually after the install:
> copy /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/doc/ltsp-client-core/examples/lts.conf to
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/
>
> 1.
> 2. Do any changes or setting need to be made for dhcp settings?
>
> You might need to check the /etc/ltsp/dhcp.conf file to make sure it has
> the right settings for your network. If you make changes to it, restart
> dhcp: sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart
> Make sure DHCP is off in your DSL modem.
>
> 1.
> 2. Booting clients, I have read about network booting, but how is
> it possible to boot from a cd or from a harddrive?

Should this read how is network booting possible?
W#