Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
David Hopkins

Default Printing doesn't work from thin clients on karmic 9.10

I can print from the server console to any printer on the network, but while the printers show up for the users at the thin clients, they can't print. This is trying to print from www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/picturematch.* Not sure why this would happen.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Joseph Hartman

If you are using local apps on the thin clients you will need to follow this tutorial:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSPJauntyPrinting

Make sure to pay attention to the url in the images to correctly configure CUPS.
If you aren't using local apps I'm not sure what could be the problem. Can you print anything from the tc's, like pdfs from evince or anything? -joe

Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
David Hopkins

Make sure to pay attention to the url in the images to correctly configure CUPS.

I'm not yet printing from local apps but will be shortly. This link is very helpful.
*
If you aren't using local apps I'm not sure what could be the problem. Can you print anything from the tc's, like pdfs from evince or anything? -joe

The printing is fine from other apps. Some further troubleshooting and the issue seems to be that when you select to print from the flash-based website, that although you got the printer dialog to select the printer, for some reason, the printer that was then actually used was whatever had been selected as the default and this overrode the user's selection. So ... we had a lot of printouts going to a printer elsewhere.* It seems to be working correctly if I make the desired printer the default.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins