Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
David Groos

Default Looking for recomendations: scanner

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a scanner or two in my classroom and want to get something that works well with Edubuntu thin clients.* I'm not very knowledgeable about scanners and would appreciate you sharing your experience and advice.* Not looking for anything high end but also want something that is fairly durable.* I know that scanner and durable are basically at opposite ends of the spectrum, but I'm sure some are tougher than others.

Thanks,
David

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi David,

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, David Groos wrote:

> I'm looking to get a scanner or two in my classroom and want to get
> something that works well with Edubuntu thin clients. I'm not very
> knowledgeable about scanners and would appreciate you sharing your
> experience and advice. Not looking for anything high end but also want
> something that is fairly durable. I know that scanner and durable are
> basically at opposite ends of the spectrum, but I'm sure some are tougher
> than others.

Scanners that work with Linux work through SANE (which is to scanners what
CUPS is to printers). There is a device list on the site:

http://www.sane-project.org/

The trouble is that I'm not sure you can just hook up a scanner to a thin
client and expect it to work -- unless you're running the scanning
application as a local app. It's possible that since my last look ltsp now
transparently deals with scanners, in which case forget my concerns.

As far as I recall, SANE is network capable, so you can have a scanner on a
particular machine or machines and let people connect to it over the
network to scan something. This might be a nice way to do things if you
have a room full of thin clients which occasionally need to scan things.

http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/

Gavin

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Jim Christiansen

Hi there,
I'm running an old common Epson scanner (1650) using the LTSP networked options. *Works great and has lasted forever. *I just use the sane backend and kooka *Has worked awesome for years and having ANY LTSP client scan to it is awesome.

Jim