Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Reiner Schmid

Default Local devices vs. Gutsy

Hi
> The discussion of the bug in that thread provides two solutions: either
> (1) hack $client/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/S20-delayed-mounter
> and /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter, or (2) don't log into the server with 'ssh
> -X <user>'.
>
> I implemented the first solution, but we now have a number of problems,
> such as intermittent PXE boot failures, freezing clients, and other
> instability.

I implemented the first solution, too. And I can confirm your problems
(freezing, PXE-boot failures .....)

Reiner

Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 PM
"Denis Melnikov"

Hi,

2008/1/8, Richard Doyle <rdoyle@islandnetworks.com>:
> We upgraded our lab from Feisty to Gutsy over the last couple of weeks.
> All was working well until I noticed that no more than one client could
> use local usb drives, as described in bug 160240
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420) .
>
> The discussion of the bug in that thread provides two solutions: either
> (1) hack $client/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/S20-delayed-mounter
> and /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter, or (2) don't log into the server with 'ssh
> -X <user>'.

This is not two solutions, this is one solution of two steps.
I've followed both - and ltsp-update-image necessarily! - and now
several USB sticks work simultaneously in several (two in my test)
thin clients.

Denis

Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Di, 2008-01-08 at 10:33 -0800, Richard Doyle wrote:
> We upgraded our lab from Feisty to Gutsy over the last couple of weeks.
> All was working well until I noticed that no more than one client could
> use local usb drives, as described in bug 160240
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420) .

delayed-mounter is only used for floppies etc or for devices existing
before loggin in it doesnt have any effect here ... the actual fix is to
delete leftover the debug line that sets a fixed DISPLAY variable in
ltspfsmounter. this fix is in review as update to gutsy and included in
the hardy package already ...

ciao
oli

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
"Denis Melnikov"

2008/1/9, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com>:
> hi,
> On Di, 2008-01-08 at 10:33 -0800, Richard Doyle wrote:
> > We upgraded our lab from Feisty to Gutsy over the last couple of weeks.
> > All was working well until I noticed that no more than one client could
> > use local usb drives, as described in bug 160240
> > (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420) .
> >
> delayed-mounter is only used for floppies etc or for devices existing
> before loggin in it doesnt have any effect here ... the actual fix is to
> delete leftover the debug line that sets a fixed DISPLAY variable in
> ltspfsmounter. this fix is in review as update to gutsy and included in
> the hardy package already ...

Perfect! Maybe you could answer, how to mount local client's HDD?

Denis

Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Richard Doyle

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:27 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Di, 2008-01-08 at 10:33 -0800, Richard Doyle wrote:
> > We upgraded our lab from Feisty to Gutsy over the last couple of weeks.
> > All was working well until I noticed that no more than one client could
> > use local usb drives, as described in bug 160240
> > (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420) .
Everything, including usb drives, is working well now, although a couple
of clients have frozen while using Firefox. Last night, I hacked
ltspfsmounter and delayed-mounter as suggested in the bug report, but
also re-installed edubuntu-desktop (I had removed evolution and a few
other programs we don't need), removed NX from the server and x11vnc
from the client.

> delayed-mounter is only used for floppies etc or for devices existing
> before loggin in it doesnt have any effect here ... the actual fix is to
> delete leftover the debug line that sets a fixed DISPLAY variable in
> ltspfsmounter. this fix is in review as update to gutsy and included in
> the hardy package already ...
Very good. I'll restore delayed-mounter to its original state.

> ciao
> oli
Thank you!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008, Richard Doyle wrote:

> Everything, including usb drives, is working well now,

As someone who hasn't yet put gutsy into production, this is most
reassuring. So you just had to fix the thin clients color depth in
lts.conf and fix the USB keys as in this thread? Anything else?

> although a couple of clients have frozen while using Firefox.

Possibly the memory usage issue we've seen before? If it becomes a big
problem, we do have a patch against firefox v3 which seems to fix this,
though you have to use firefox v3 to do it which could cause other issues
so perhaps you're better off as you are.

Gavin

Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Richard Doyle

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 17:02 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008, Richard Doyle wrote:
>
> > Everything, including usb drives, is working well now,
>
> As someone who hasn't yet put gutsy into production, this is most
> reassuring. So you just had to fix the thin clients color depth in
> lts.conf and fix the USB keys as in this thread? Anything else?
Not much more. This was an upgrade from a working Feisty system. Sabayon
didn't upgrade well (it couldn't read the student.zip file, and then
wouldn't apply menu changes made with alacarte) and has been removed. I
switched from VIA's UniChrome driver to the community driver, which
supports 24 bit color on the HP t5125 clients.

Here's our new lts.conf:
[default]
LTSP_VERSION=5.0.39
X_COLOR_DEPTH=24
X_VIDEORAM=16384
X_RAMPERC=85

> > although a couple of clients have frozen while using Firefox.
>
> Possibly the memory usage issue we've seen before? If it becomes a big
> problem, we do have a patch against firefox v3 which seems to fix this,
> though you have to use firefox v3 to do it which could cause other issues
> so perhaps you're better off as you are.
Eagerly awaiting Firefox 3!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008, Richard Doyle wrote:

> Not much more. This was an upgrade from a working Feisty system. Sabayon
> didn't upgrade well (it couldn't read the student.zip file, and then
> wouldn't apply menu changes made with alacarte) and has been removed. I
> switched from VIA's UniChrome driver to the community driver, which
> supports 24 bit color on the HP t5125 clients.
>
> Here's our new lts.conf:
> [default]
> LTSP_VERSION=5.0.39
> X_COLOR_DEPTH=24
> X_VIDEORAM=16384
> X_RAMPERC=85

This is good to know about, thanks.

> Eagerly awaiting Firefox 3!

Aren't we all!

Gavin

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Mi, 2008-01-09 at 10:15 -0800, Richard Doyle wrote:
> LTSP_VERSION=5.0.39
you dont need to keep LTSP_VERSION, its a placeholder to make getltscfg
quiet on boot (it moans if it finds a file without content)

ciao
oli

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 AM
"R. Scott Belford"

On Wed, January 9, 2008 7:02 am, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008, Richard Doyle wrote:
>
>> Everything, including usb drives, is working well now,
>
> As someone who hasn't yet put gutsy into production, this is most
> reassuring. So you just had to fix the thin clients color depth in
> lts.conf and fix the USB keys as in this thread? Anything else?

I am trying to make usb keychains work with 7.10. I have followed this
thread

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420

and have removed this line env['DISPLAY'] = 'localhost:10.0'
from /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter. My clients are booting with LDM=directx in
lts.conf. I can mount multiple USB keychains, but when I try to unmount I
get the following error

umount: /media/labsta1/usbdisk-sdb1 is not in the fstab (and you are not
root)

I am not sure what to modify. In my user settings, each user has
permission to user fuse filesystems.

> Gavin

--scott