Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Jim Christiansen

Default Samba set up error- solved

Just a quick note about the trouble I had with*getting*Samba up for WinXP client boxes being able to join a Samba domain, provide the same student Linux logons, and have access only to their own folders using Edubuntu 9.04.

I quit trying with the 9.04*Ubuntu*packages after two weeks. *I ssh'ed into one of my two K12LTSP Centos 5.4/3 servers that runs a lab across the hall from my computer lab. *I yum installed Samba on it, edited the stock smb.conf file taking less than 2 minutes (I was slow), started samba and everything worked. *My WinXP boxes could join the new room101 domain, students can logon using their linux username and password and only have access to their*own*linux folders. Nice!! * We have checked and students can even read and save to their homes. *Woohoo!! *We are really happy with the setup. *Students have no clue or care their files are on a different server. *Everything works.

I must have messed something but no clue what. *The Centos 5.x version does not require the XP reg hack that so many ubuntu readmes required. *Also beware- if you remove or re-install samba 3.3.x (maybe other versions of samba, too) you could have troubles in Ubuntu. *It seems many others have happen and this is likely what lead to my troubles, although the smb.conf file must not have been the only messed up file... *I you want my Centos/RH5 smb.conf file just email me.

Thanks everyone for the help. *