Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Richard Doyle

Default Local devices vs. Gutsy

We upgraded our lab from Feisty to Gutsy over the last couple of weeks.
All was working well until I noticed that no more than one client could
use local usb drives, as described in bug 160240
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420) .

The discussion of the bug in that thread provides two solutions: either
(1) hack $client/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/S20-delayed-mounter
and /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter, or (2) don't log into the server with 'ssh
-X <user>'.

I implemented the first solution, but we now have a number of problems,
such as intermittent PXE boot failures, freezing clients, and other
instability.

Can multiple thin-client users actually use local devices under solution
(2)? I'd have to give up remote access via NX, but the clients would be
able to access local devices.

What do the developers recommend?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Richard Doyle

No replies, so I'll simplify my question:

Has anyone gotten local devices to work on more than one client under
7.10?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

On Jan 8, 2008 5:41 PM, Richard Doyle <rdoyle@islandnetworks.com> wrote:
> No replies, so I'll simplify my question:
>
> Has anyone gotten local devices to work on more than one client under
> 7.10?

I'm using Ubuntu Desktop with the ltsp-server-standalone package
installed and I sadly can't get them to work either. I thought maybe
the problem was that I needed to update the ltsp image, but apparently
I don't. If someone could please put a HowTo with very specific
instructions somewhere for how to get this to work, I'm sure lots of
us would appreciate it.

Todd