Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
john

Default group permission problems for devices mounted in /media

Hi all,

The recent fuse update seems to have caused me a bit of trouble with
regards to local device support.
Since I use active directory for authentication I had been using a work around
that uses a setuid chown via a perl script to change the group
ownership of usb drives mounted on by TC users.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LocaldevCommonGroupWorkaround

The perl script lives in /etc/ltspfs/mounter.d which is supposed to be
a little known but useful LTSP bit o' magic. Perhaps I am
crazy and it never worked under Ubuntu Hardy?

Anyway, I have two questions:

Does Hardy support /etc/ltspfs/mounter.d ?
Does anyone have any idea why this stopped working and what I might
try to get it working again?

Thanks!

John

Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 PM
john

Anybody?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 01:39:29PM -0800, john wrote:

> > Does Hardy support */etc/ltspfs/mounter.d ?

No.

> > Does anyone have any idea why this stopped working and what I might
> > try to get it working again?

No idea why it stopped, but the reason, for AD, usually is because everyone's
in one primary group.

Sigh. I hate working around Microsoft's broken behaviour.

I'll spend some time on the weekend and backport the fix I did to resolve AD's
idiotic and utterly stupid brokenness to hardy's ltspfs.

I'll post a link to my ppa when it's done.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | The human race has one really effective weapon,
Systems Department | and that is laughter.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 PM
john

Hi Scott,

> No idea why it stopped, but the reason, for AD, usually is because everyone's
> in one primary group.

True.

> Sigh. *I hate working around Microsoft's broken behaviour.

Agreed!

> I'll spend some time on the weekend and backport the fix I did to resolve AD's
> idiotic and utterly stupid brokenness to hardy's ltspfs.
>
> I'll post a link to my ppa when it's done.
>
> Scott

Thanks Scott. I appreciate your help!

John

Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Scott Balneaves

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:07:14PM -0800, john wrote:

> > I'll spend some time on the weekend and backport the fix I did to resolve AD's
> > idiotic and utterly stupid brokenness to hardy's ltspfs.
> >
> > I'll post a link to my ppa when it's done.
> >
> > Scott
>
> Thanks Scott. I appreciate your help!

https://edge.launchpad.net/~sbalneav/+archive/ppa

In my ppa. Give it a try.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | He that breaks a thing to find out what it is
Systems Department | has left the path of wisdom.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
john

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:

> https://edge.launchpad.net/~sbalneav/+archive/ppa
>
> In my ppa. *Give it a try.
>
> Scott

Thanks Scott! I'll try it after school today.

John

Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
john

Hi Scott,

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:07:14PM -0800, john wrote:
>

> In my ppa. *Give it a try.
>
> Scott

Didn't work for me unfortunately. Here's what I did:

1) added your ppa
2) did apt-get update and installed ltspfs here's the entry from
/var/log/dpkg

status installed ltspfs 0.5.0~bzr20080109-3ubuntu4~ppa1

-popped in a usb drive, drive shows up on all domain users desktops
rather than just the domain user whose
drive it is.
-Restarted client: same deal.
- Restarted server and client: same deal

Here's what it looks like:

/media/flyboy$ ls -al
ls: cannot access TRAVELDRIVE: Permission denied
total 12

drwxr-x--- 4 root domain users 4096 Feb 8 15:30 .
drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Feb 8 13:57 ..
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? TRAVELDRIVE

If I try to do:

# chown flyboy.root /media/flyboy/TRAVELDRIVE
chown: cannot access `/media/flyboy/TRAVELDRIVE': Permission denied

Other things that might matter

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/45-fuse.rules
KERNEL="fuse", NAME="%k", MODE="0666",OWNER="root" GROUP="fuse"

ls -la /bin/fusermount
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root fuse 22532 2010-01-26 16:29 /bin/fusermount

What do you think?

Thanks for your help

John

Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Scott Balneaves

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:14:17PM -0800, john wrote:

> Here's what it looks like:
>
> /media/flyboy$ ls -al
> ls: cannot access TRAVELDRIVE: Permission denied
> total 12
>
> drwxr-x--- 4 root domain users 4096 Feb 8 15:30 .
> drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Feb 8 13:57 ..
> d????????? ? ? ? ? ? TRAVELDRIVE

How are you doing this ls? As the user who inserted the drive?

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear
Systems Department | and the blind can read.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
john

Hi Scott,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:14:17PM -0800, john wrote:
>
>> Here's what it looks like:
>>
>> /media/flyboy$ ls -al
>> ls: cannot access TRAVELDRIVE: Permission denied
>> total 12
>>
>> drwxr-x--- *4 root domain users 4096 Feb *8 15:30 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 40 root root * * * * 4096 Feb *8 13:57 ..
>> d????????? *? ? * *? * * * * * * * ? * * * * * *? TRAVELDRIVE
>
> How are you doing this ls? *As the user who inserted the drive?

I did the 'ls' as another user. Not the user who inserted the drive.

John

Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:06:15AM -0800, john wrote:

> > How are you doing this ls? *As the user who inserted the drive?
>
> I did the 'ls' as another user. Not the user who inserted the drive.

Can you please do the ls's as the user who inserted the drive? Fuse doesn't
report ANY information as another user, and I'd like to see the permissions.

Scott