Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
john

Default group permission problems for devices mounted in /media

Hi Scott,

Sorry about the delay. I've been a bit swamped.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:

> Can you please do the ls's as the user who inserted the drive? Fuse doesn't
> report ANY information as another user, and I'd like to see the permissions.
>
> Scott

flyboy@mcbuntu2:~$ ls -la /media/flyboy/usbdisk-sdb1/
total 22
drwx------ 3 flyboy domain users 16384 Dec 31 1969 .
drwxr-x--- 4 root domain users 4096 Feb 12 14:19 ..
drwx------ 2 flyboy domain users 2048 Dec 22 08:53 Cole's Galaga Presentation

The permissions look good to me in this directory. Other kids can't
browse the contents of each others thumbdrives, however their desktops
fill up with lots of thumb drives icons as students around the school
plug their thumbdrives in. This causes a bit of confusion (e.g. which
of these 12 thumb drives is mine?)

However if I do:

sudo chown flyboy.root /media/flyboy/

Then everything is good e.g. flyboy can see and use his files, and
they don't show up on other students desktops.

Is there a way to chown the user directory in /media upon mounting the device?

John

Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
john

Hi Scott,