Old 02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Scott Balneaves

Default hide-tool 0.1 in my ppa

Hello all,

After a discussion between myself, Ahmuck, and Lns yesterday, wherein
Lns revealed the mysteries of the ".hidden" file to me for hiding things
from Nautilus, I banged together "hide-tool" last night, a brief shell
script that does the following:

1) Create '.hidden' files
for /, /usr, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/local/bin.
2) Allow for overrides within these hidden driectories (for example, in
root, "home" isn't hidden).
3) fires the hide-tool job off hourly, so that as an administrator adds
or removes packages from the system, the .hidden files are updated.

There's a man page that comes with it. It's in my ppa.

https://edge.launchpad.net/~sbalneav/+archive/ppa

Any questions, let me know.

Oh, btw, if you remove the package, you'll have to go into the
directories and manually remove the .hidden files.

Scott

Scott L. Balneaves | I have nothing definite to apologize for,
Systems Department | I'm just sorry about everything in general.
Legal Aid Manitoba | -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Jordan Mantha

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Scott Balneaves
<sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After a discussion between myself, Ahmuck, and Lns yesterday, wherein
> Lns revealed the mysteries of the ".hidden" file to me for hiding things
> from Nautilus, I banged together "hide-tool" last night, a brief shell
> script that does the following:
>
> 1) Create '.hidden' files
> for /, /usr, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/local/bin.
> 2) Allow for overrides within these hidden driectories (for example, in
> root, "home" isn't hidden).
> 3) fires the hide-tool job off hourly, so that as an administrator adds
> or removes packages from the system, the .hidden files are updated.
>
> There's a man page that comes with it. *It's in my ppa.
>
> *https://edge.launchpad.net/~sbalneav/+archive/ppa
>
> Any questions, let me know.
>
> Oh, btw, if you remove the package, you'll have to go into the
> directories and manually remove the .hidden files.

Maybe in the packages prerm script you can have it remove these? If
you were able to track somewhere (/etc/hide-tool or something) what
.hidden files had been added then removing only those should be a
snap.

-Jordan

Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Jordan Erickson

Also, don't forget that if you hide the right directories in the root
(such as /usr) it's not really necessary to also hide the subdirs with
.hidden files (unless you think someone's going to be manually typing a
path such as /usr/local/bin to Nautilus).

Also, this *only* affects Nautilus (I'm sure you know that, just
re-stating it). Things like OpenOffice open/save dialogs aren't affected
by this.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns