Old 01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Ben Francis

Default LTSP Boot Across Subnets

Can an LTSP client boot from a server on another subnet?

For example, can a client that gets an IP address of 192.168.1.5 boot from a server (192.168.2.10) on a separate router?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Ben Francis <wirelessben@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can an LTSP client boot from a server on another subnet?
>
> For example, can a client that gets an IP address of 192.168.1.5 boot from a server (192.168.2.10) on a separate router?

The short answer is 'no', but everything except dhcp would probably
work if you could set up a route to the other network. I guess it
would get slow even if you add just a few clients, unless you have a
strong connection between your routers.

-Jonathan

Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Ben Francis

Thanks, Jonathon.*

So how can*BKO*install Debian on my ancient, 256MB P4 Micron in under an hour over the internet, across a strict firewall? *
A: They use HTTPFS booting over HTTP with the small 1 MB gPXE boot CD, boot USB, or boot floppy.*Fuse rocks.

BKO does have an entry for Ubuntu on its internet boot server. You might find teachers willing to give Edubuntu a whirl if they could "set it and forget it" for an overnight install.*

Very mindful of your bandwidth,
Ben