Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM
dirk

Default Some trouble with fresh 7.10/ltsp

Hi,

I installed a lot of 7.04 systems, even with ltsp in a vmware-image. All
installations were cake&icecream. I updated some systems to 7.10 online - no
problems.

Now I wanted to make a bigger deal: its a FSC-Server (2xXeon Quadcores, 6G RAM,
SAS-RAID a.s.o.). Before that, a SLES10 with LTSP4 worked great on that system.

One more thing: there is a Matrox G200 inside, it looks like with only 16M
VideoRAM.
And: we have a seperate DHCP-Server. So we can decide to what server this client
has to go.
And: it's the first server with two NICs, one shows to the internet.
I'm pretty shure, that basic-LAN-Config is not the problem, but maybe some
ltsp-issues. What's funny: edubuntu let me configure two defaultgateways, one on
each NIC. I always thought, there can be only one on a system.

My problems with this 7.10-Installation:

1. even at the console with mga-driver the Xserver didn't came up until I
changed it to vesa. Now only 640x480. Tells me a "plug and play" screen, but its
a 19" TFT with 1280/1024, 60Hz. I can log in, but don't see a lot of bottom lines.

2. really problems with thinclients (they all worked perfect with all the other
installations) . No GUI. I figured forth and back, have now a working
1280/1024,60Hz ThinClient, but not stable.

No I read here something about this "changing to nbd-server. Can somebody give
me a hit/link why and how to do that?

Okay, I stop here first, I have more trouble, f.e. with the firestarter. ;-)
Hope, you have some suggestions.
Please exuse my english. ;-)

--
With kind regards,
Dirk

Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008, dirk wrote:

> One more thing: there is a Matrox G200 inside, it looks like with only 16M
> VideoRAM.
>
> My problems with this 7.10-Installation:
>
> 1. even at the console with mga-driver the Xserver didn't came up until I
> changed it to vesa. Now only 640x480. Tells me a "plug and play" screen, but its
> a 19" TFT with 1280/1024, 60Hz. I can log in, but don't see a lot of bottom lines.

Can you attach /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see how
your video card is configured and what errors it's giving.

> 2. really problems with thinclients (they all worked perfect with all the other
> installations) . No GUI. I figured forth and back, have now a working
> 1280/1024,60Hz ThinClient, but not stable.

My first suggestion would be to set X_COLOR_DEPTH=16 in
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

What did you figure back and forth? When you say "Not stable", what
exactly do you mean.

> No I read here something about this "changing to nbd-server. Can somebody give
> me a hit/link why and how to do that?

If you've installed the server from scratch, the nbd server will be set up
already.

> Okay, I stop here first, I have more trouble, f.e. with the firestarter. ;-)
> Hope, you have some suggestions.

It's hard for people on this list to support firestarter as it's not really
part of edubuntu -- it's packaged in universe. Do you really need a
firewall on your thin client server? You will probably need to set up
special rules to keep your thin clients working through a firewall, or not
firewall the thin client interface at all.

Gavin

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> > 1. even at the console with mga-driver the Xserver didn't came up until I
> > changed it to vesa. Now only 640x480. Tells me a "plug and play" screen, but its
> > a 19" TFT with 1280/1024, 60Hz. I can log in, but don't see a lot of bottom lines.
>
> Can you attach /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see how
> your video card is configured and what errors it's giving.

Obviously I mean using the default config, not the vesa driver.

Gavin

Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
dirk

Hi,

Gavin McCullagh schrieb:
>> 1. even at the console with mga-driver the Xserver didn't came up until I
>> changed it to vesa. Now only 640x480. Tells me a "plug and play" screen, but its
>> a 19" TFT with 1280/1024, 60Hz. I can log in, but don't see a lot of bottom lines.
>
> Can you attach /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see how
> your video card is configured and what errors it's giving.

I read more here in this list and think, I will make some more tests from
scratch. F.E.: go back to 32-bit and check if it's better.
I have a 32-bit 7.04->upgraded7.10 Server (Single-CPU, 1GBRAM), it's not very
fast - but f.e. vmware-server 1.04 runs stable on that. It will not compile on
the big 64-bit-Server. Stuff from perl missing and so on. The stupid thing is:
everything works great on a SLES10. ;-)

> What did you figure back and forth? When you say "Not stable", what
> exactly do you mean.

Today the only conntected ThinClient worked without freesing. normaly it stopped
2-6 times a workday.

Thanks for your help, I'm shure, I ask again - later. ;-)

Regards, Dirk