Old 11-22-2007, 02:21 PM
"Denis Melnikov"

Default Only One Thin Client Mounts Local Devices (Was: My Negative Gutsy Experience)

Now we have fresh installation of 7.10.

> > 1) Local devices stopped mounting.
> > Rarely a floppy icon appears at some user's desktop.
> > Rarely an USBkey or CD mounts. But this happens without
> > any relationship with username or computer. The fact is
> > that only one user have an access to local devices at
> > a time. Of course, all users are allowed to mount local
> > devices.
> >

> Have you had a chance, yet, to learn that lts.conf should be in
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/ ?
>
> Also, a newly installed Gutsy server will have this directory
>
> /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/doc/ltsp-client-core/examples/
>
> that has good lts.conf examples and descriptions. Mine
> currently looks
> like this (note that I specify local devices)
>
> [default] <---
> X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
> LDM_DIRECTX=True
> X_MODE_0=1024x768
> LOCALDEV=True <---
> SOUND=True <---
> NBD_SWAP=True
> SYSLOG_HOST=server <---

We have the marked lines in the file.
As before only one (if any) client can mount local devices.
This is one that has a 'floppy0' icon at its desktop.
(Maybe it's the 1st client booted, I will examine tomorrow.)
I tried to debug remaining ones as described in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebugLocalDev
All the steps except the last one have succeeded.
The last one put the following error:

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or
server shutdown).
Error: /tmp/.teacher-ltspfs/tmp is not mounted

The second problem with local devices are cyrillic letters
in filenames. Nevertheless, when a USB stick mounts,
cyrillic letters in filenames appear as question marks.
I've found a solution (dirty hack) and posted it along
with the problem as bug 164508.

Denis