Old 01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
"Anton Kaser"

Default ltsp-update-image

I still keep trying to get changes from the ltsp-nbd into the Client-Image

I did the following:

change the /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/ltsp-nbd
copied it to and as /opt/ltsp/i386/initrd/nfs
ran mkinitramfs -o nfs
then ltsp-update-kernels
then ltsp-update-image

But I think the ltsp-update-imgae did not use the ltsp-nbd yet!

And after the command "ltsp-update-image" I get at the end:
Info: port 2000 is already defined with /opt/ltsp/image/i386.img in
inetd.conf
info: taking no action

if i command out the last line in /etc/inetd.conf (2000.....) then the
ltsp-update-image command runs to the end and says:
Info: updating inetd config

any further suggestions???
To which place and under which name should the ltsp-nbd script be copied??

Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fr, 2008-01-04 at 12:52 +0100, Anton Kaser wrote:
> I still keep trying to get changes from the ltsp-nbd into the Client-Image
>
> I did the following:
>
> change the /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/ltsp-nbd
right ...

> copied it to and as /opt/ltsp/i386/initrd/nfs
> ran mkinitramfs -o nfs
wrong ...

the changes you made to the ltsp-nbd script above will be pulled in by
the command:

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 update-initramfs -u

dont call mkinitramfs directly...
whats the particular reason for copying it to be called nfs (which wont
be executed without further changes to the initramfs setup that defaults
to ltsp-nbd) ?

> then ltsp-update-kernels
right ...
that copies the kernel and initramfs in the tftp dir ...

> then ltsp-update-image
ltsp-update-image insnt needed here your initramfs gets pulled by tftp
before the image is even available ...

> But I think the ltsp-update-imgae did not use the ltsp-nbd yet!

as i said above, the initramfs isnt used from the image but only fom the
tftp dir

> And after the command "ltsp-update-image" I get at the end:
> Info: port 2000 is already defined with /opt/ltsp/image/i386.img in
> inetd.conf
> info: taking no action
i should probably change the messages here if it confuses you, the
"info:" should have told you something though it means that there is
no need to add the image to the inetd.conf since it is already there
with the exact same config the script would add. since there is no
"error:" you can rely on it having finished properly

> if i command out the last line in /etc/inetd.conf (2000.....) then the
> ltsp-update-image command runs to the end and says:
> Info: updating inetd config
right, and adds an identical line

> any further suggestions???
> To which place and under which name should the ltsp-nbd script be copied??
just keep the name and use the update-initramfs and ltsp-update-kernels
scripts as described above, keep a backup of a working copy of the
script so you are not screwed if the clients dont boot anymore and can
roll back

ciao
oli

Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

I'm getting an error about port 2000 already being set when I try to
ltsp-update-image. My server is AMD64, but the clients are i386, so I
ran

$ sudo ltsp-update-image --arch i386

I just installed Ubuntu Gutsy with the ltsp-server-standalone package
(not Edubuntu) on a new server, updated all the packages, and am not
having any luck getting local devices to work.

Any help appreciated,
Todd

Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Mo, 2008-01-07 at 20:19 -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> I'm getting an error about port 2000 already being set when I try to
> ltsp-update-image. My server is AMD64, but the clients are i386, so I
> ran
does it actually say "Error:" ?

ciao
oli

Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

On Jan 8, 2008 4:14 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Mo, 2008-01-07 at 20:19 -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> > I'm getting an error about port 2000 already being set when I try to

> > ltsp-update-image. My server is AMD64, but the clients are i386, so I
> > ran
> does it actually say "Error:" ?

Actually, it says Info:, so I guess it's not an error. My local devices aren't working and it seemed that updating to the latest packages would fix the problem, so when it said it wasn't doing anything, I assumed there was something wrong.

Apparently, I'm already as updated as I can be, but local devices still aren't working. <sigh>

Todd