Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
john

Default why is firefox such a CPU hog?

Hi all,

This is sort of a general question. I have a quad core AMD server with
16 Gigs of ram. I am running Hardy 2.6.24-25-server #1 SMP
This morning with 16 users logged on my load average was 16 to 20 and
I noticed that a single firefox process was taking 95% of my CPU. When
I reniced that
particular users firefox, another firefox process immediately took
its place and began hogging CPU. VMSTAT showed me that my CPU's were
almost 100 percent busy and that a lot of processes were waiting for
service.

I see that there are some tweaks you can make to firefox to optimize
it https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/Firefox3Optimize and
I guess that many folks are using Local apps in later versions of
LTSP/Ubuntu to get around this issue. I just wonder why a single
application can cause so much pain? Is Firefox the 900 pound gorilla
of linux apps?

Aside from that question which I would be interested in hearing your
replies to, I wonder what approaches you take to control the beast.
Does setting firefox to start with nice of 15 help? Does upgrading to
FF 3.5 help? Does dumping FF and using Opera help?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

John

Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 PM

> This is sort of a general question. I have a quad core AMD server with
> 16 Gigs of ram. I am running Hardy 2.6.24-25-server #1 SMP
> This morning with 16 users logged on my load average was 16 to 20 and
> I noticed that a single firefox process was taking 95% of my CPU.

Do you know what they are doing/what kind of web pages they are surfing -
flash, java, lots of pictures, some kind of embedded movies or embedded
audio players, lots of popup windows and so on - FF has n+1 plugins - bad,
bad dog. But maybe FF is not so bad, but bad design for web pages can do
that.

If you google 'ltsp firefox optimize' you find this example:

"First, considering the X server/client architecture, I noticed that
transferring large images between a client and a server involves a raw
image transfer, which means around 47 MBs for a 5000x1224 32 bits jpeg
(=4.7 second on a 100mbit line).

Second, storing a 47 MBs image on a thin client quickly crashes the X
server since some of them have 64 MB of RAM total (The crash is caused
by the kernel to protect itself from reaching an out-of-memory state)."

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.gfx/browse_thread/thread/b73e3cf79530ddc3

You remember lynx... ;-)

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.