Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM
John Hegarty

Default smbldap - where to start?

The last time I set up an Ubuntu server that would handle Windows & Apple clients as well as Linux thin clients I used the smbldap installer detailed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SmbLdapInstaller. It was a few years ago and it worked fine. (Thank you to the folk who developed and supported this at the time)

Support for this seems to have discontinued. I am now looking to do the same on a new server but I'm having problems. I tried using the documentation here https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/network-authentication.html but have fallen at the first hurdle. After installing - which gave no error messages - I tried what is in the documentation

Use ldapsearch to view the tree, entering the admin
password set during installation or reconfiguration:

ldapsearch -xLLL -b cn=config -D cn=admin,cn=config -W olcDatabase={1}hdb
It says to use the password set during installation - During installation I wasn't asked to set a password. Anything I try returns

ldap_bind : Invalid credentials

I'm wondering

1. Can anyone suggest how to fix the above problem
2. Is there better documentation or a better way to have single sign on for a network with Windows, Linux and Apple clients linking to a Linux server?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Bob Wooden

John Hegarty wrote:
> The last time I set up an Ubuntu server that would handle Windows &
> Apple clients as well as Linux thin clients I used the smbldap
> installer detailed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SmbLdapInstaller. It
> was a few years ago and it worked fine. (Thank you to the folk who
> developed and supported this at the time)
>
> Support for this seems to have discontinued. I am now looking to do
> the same on a new server but I'm having problems. I tried using the
> documentation here
> https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/network-authentication.html
> but have fallen at the first hurdle. After installing - which gave no
> error messages - I tried what is in the documentation
>
> Use *ldapsearch* to view the tree, entering the admin password set
> during installation or reconfiguration:
>
> *ldapsearch -xLLL -b cn=config -D cn=admin,cn=config -W
> olcDatabase={1}hdb*
>
> It says to use the password set during installation - During installation I wasn't asked to set a password. Anything I try returns
>

> ldap_bind : Invalid credentials
>

> I'm wondering
>
> 1. Can anyone suggest how to fix the above problem
> 2. Is there better documentation or a better way to have single sign
> on for a network with Windows, Linux and Apple clients linking to a
> Linux server?
>
> Thanks
>
> -----------------
> John Hegarty,
> Ireland
I have been researching doing this and have discovered that each version
change (8.10>9.04>9.10, etc.) has each slightly different setup
procedures. Perhaps minute differences here and there, but none the less
differences.

In all my reading, the Ubuntu documentation I have read, states during
setup, that you will need to write down the administrative password. And
that you will need this later.

Here is your problem. Said password is encrypted (a hash sting, I
believe) and it is difficult to read what you set the password as.

Sorry, but I believe you may, I repeat, may have to re-install to
properly set your password during setup.

Sorry, others might know a way, but this has been my personal
experience. Sorry for the not so good news on how to fix your issue.