-   -   Script to move into each home and delete all .g* folders (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/278351-script-move-into-each-home-delete-all-g-folders.html)

Jim Christiansen 11-10-2009 08:29 PM

Script to move into each home and delete all .g* folders

OK, it looks like I've settled on Ubuntu 9.04 for our new/old- rehabbed LTSP server.

I'm symlinking my old K12LTSP rsynced home from another drive into the file system as the home.

My student homes from the K12LTSPEL5 system are full of all of the wrong .gconf ... .gnome folders.* On startup if they don't exist they are created no prob.* What I need to do is find a script that will:

cd into each student home
rm -rf .g*
cd back out
cd into the next student home and repeat all the way through the home dir

I'm not having any troubles with the authenticating I don't think.* I've appended the old user lines from the k12ltsp group, password and shadow files into the new ones.* My rsynced student homes have ownership and other permissions preserved.

I think it should all work if it wasn't for all of the old gnome/gconf junk.

Ideas for the script??

Thanks,* Jim

Patrick McKnight 11-10-2009 09:51 PM

Script to move into each home and delete all .g* folders

Jim,

You don't need a script; just use the UN*X find command like this:

find /home -name .g* | xargs rm

NOTE that the code that follows the "-name" is a slash "" followed by
a dot "." and a g*

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Jim Christiansen
<jim.c.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, it looks like I've settled on Ubuntu 9.04 for our new/old- rehabbed LTSP
> server.
>
> I'm symlinking my old K12LTSP rsynced home from another drive into the file
> system as the home.
>
> My student homes from the K12LTSPEL5 system are full of all of the wrong
> .gconf ... .gnome folders.* On startup if they don't exist they are created
> no prob.* What I need to do is find a script that will:
>
> cd into each student home
> rm -rf .g*
> cd back out
> cd into the next student home and repeat all the way through the home dir
>
> I'm not having any troubles with the authenticating I don't think.* I've
> appended the old user lines from the k12ltsp group, password and shadow
> files into the new ones.* My rsynced student homes have ownership and other
> permissions preserved.
>
> I think it should all work if it wasn't for all of the old gnome/gconf junk.
>
> Ideas for the script??
>
> Thanks,* Jim

Cheers,

Patrick