Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Clean up of proposed Edubuntu Member applications

Hi Jordan

Jordan Mantha wrote:
> During our last meeting we discussed the state of the Edubuntu Members
> Launchpad team [0], particularly the fact that we have about three
> times as many "proposed" members as current members. The vast majority
> of the proposed members are completely unknown to the Edubuntu team.
> People seem to hit the "join" button for many different reasons.
> Some people like to join every team with "ubuntu" in the name. Some
> people want to express their support for Edubuntu. Some people want to
> become contributors to Edubuntu. In all those cases joining the
> Edubuntu Members team is not the right path.
>
> The Edubuntu Members team is a special team that recognizes
> significant and sustained contribution to the Edubuntu project by
> granting all the rights and privileges of an Ubuntu Member [1].
> Indeed, the Edubuntu Council has been delegated the authority to
> accept people into this team by the Ubuntu Community Council [2].
>
> We decided in our last meeting to purge the current list of "proposed"
> Edubuntu Members on Launchpad so that we have a better idea of who is
> actually requesting membership review by the Edubuntu Council. This
> cleaning of the slate will allow us to hopefully start processing more
> applications and grow the Edubuntu Members team. This will especially
> be important as we look to elect three new Edubuntu Council members in
> the near future as nominees to the Council are approved by a vote of
> the Edubuntu Members.
>
> So, if you get a rejection email from Launchpad and you want to become
> an Edubuntu Member, don't worry. We will be giving out better
> instructions ([1] is a good place to look for Ubuntu's version) on how
> to get your application reviewed. We will also be setting up hopefully
> in the near future a Launchpad team for all you who want to show your
> support by becoming a "fan" of Edubuntu. We'll let everybody know when
> that's in place.
>
> Thanks for making Edubuntu a great project to work in and have a nice day!
>
> -Jordan

We haven't actually acted out on this yet, is there any objections in
doing so? If there aren't we'll clean out the -proposed list on Friday
sending a link to the proposed applicants on how to apply.

-Jonathan

Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Jordan Mantha

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
<jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Jordan
>
> Jordan Mantha wrote:
>> During our last meeting we discussed the state of the Edubuntu Members
>> Launchpad team [0], particularly the fact that we have about three
>> times as many "proposed" members as current members. The vast majority
>> of the proposed members are completely unknown to the Edubuntu team.
>> People seem to hit the "join" button for many different reasons.
>> Some people like to join every team with "ubuntu" in the name. Some
>> people want to express their support for Edubuntu. Some people want to
>> become contributors to Edubuntu. In all those cases joining the
>> Edubuntu Members team is not the right path.
>>
>> The Edubuntu Members team is a special team that recognizes
>> significant and sustained contribution to the Edubuntu project by
>> granting all the rights and privileges of an Ubuntu Member [1].
>> Indeed, the Edubuntu Council has been delegated the authority to
>> accept people into this team by the Ubuntu Community Council [2].
>>
>> We decided in our last meeting to purge the current list of "proposed"
>> Edubuntu Members on Launchpad so that we have a better idea of who is
>> actually requesting membership review by the Edubuntu Council. This
>> cleaning of the slate will allow us to hopefully start processing more
>> applications and grow the Edubuntu Members team. This will especially
>> be important as we look to elect three new Edubuntu Council members in
>> the near future as nominees to the Council are approved by a vote of
>> the Edubuntu Members.
>>
>> So, if you get a rejection email from Launchpad and you want to become
>> an Edubuntu Member, don't worry. We will be giving out better
>> instructions ([1] is a good place to look for Ubuntu's version) on how
>> to get your application reviewed. We will also be setting up hopefully
>> in the near future a Launchpad team for all you who want to show your
>> support by becoming a "fan" of Edubuntu. We'll let everybody know when
>> that's in place.
>>
>> Thanks for making Edubuntu a great project to work in and have a nice day!
>>
>> -Jordan
>
> We haven't actually acted out on this yet, is there any objections in
> doing so? If there aren't we'll clean out the -proposed list on Friday
> sending a link to the proposed applicants on how to apply.

Go for it! I think the sooner the Launchpad teams are all cleaned up,
the descriptions reviewed, and ownership resolved the better. Having a
structure that encourages contribution and "advancement" is helpful
and having a structure that doesn't have so many point failures will
be key to long-term maintenance.

-Jordan

Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Jordan Mantha

Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
uwe

hello,

I once applied and it is so long ago that I don't really know how it
came to it. but for an outsider it is completely unclear.

at some point I decided I wanted to help. so I asked around and people
said to go and triage bugs or do translations or other things. but then
you need to be a member - at least that is what the websites say. and so
I applied.

so a little bit more information would be good. especially for
newcommers. I am happy that your moving forward because I have waited
several month for movement on this issue. I checked the website every
now and then but nothing happend. I even contacted mark shuttleworth
because I found is email somewhere and he responded which I found to be
impressive.

anyway, meanwhile I spend my energy in other areas. and hope to be able
to be somekind of help there.

rgds,

uwe geercken

Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 15:43 +0200 schrieb Jonathan Carter
(highvoltage):