Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM
S. Şamil Ardıç

Default Automated Shutdown time problem

Hi,
We have tried AutomatedShutdown article at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/AutomatedTCShutodwn.
But the time problem has occured that Mr. Erickson noticed thin
clients randomly off.
Jordan Erickson wrote an another article at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/InstallNTPServer
Then we done everything at that article and checked twice.(Cus' we
tried this along a week).

But the date at logon screen is different(bios time+2 hours) and after
the logon the date is different(time at ltsp server).
(if time difference is useful because of this similarity, We are at GMT +2)
I read the thread at the list "date" on LTS, how best to set it?. Then
tried ip address instead domain name of a ntp server, didn't work.

And I didn't understand RCFILE ran successfully and i don't know how
to trace it. Is there any way to understand this?

Samil Ardic

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Jordan Erickson

Hi Şamil,

Well if you're saying the LTSP client time is off 2 hours from the LTSP
server, you can say that there's something wrong with the NTP configuration.

1) What version of Edubuntu are you using?

2) Can you post your lts.conf and ntpdate script (including permissions
of ntpdate) here?

3) Did you ltsp-update-image after you made your changes?

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

PulseAudio creator talks about the future of Linux audio
10/GUI: A new idea for interacting with your computer (video)
Nokia + Open Source Software = Success

Old 11-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Joseph Hartman

I've had a similar issue this week on Karmic (GNOME, x86). I followed the howto for the automatic shutdown on two different servers without success. The time on the server shows the same as the time on the clients. I did not try to install the NTP server.

This morning I did a third fresh karmic install from the alternate disc, installed all updates, created one user for the client, and then tried to follow the TCShutdown Howto again. Here are my results:

aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 passwd -u root
[sudo] password for aeinstein:
passwd: password expiry information changed.
aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 passwd

Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$ sudo ltsp-update-image
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 1 processor
Creating 4.0 filesystem on /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img.tmp, block size 131072.

[================================================== =========-] 25939/25939 100%
Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, data block size 131072
*** compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments
*** duplicates are removed

Filesystem size 189612.62 Kbytes (185.17 Mbytes)
*** 41.33% of uncompressed filesystem size (458757.91 Kbytes)
Inode table size 352949 bytes (344.68 Kbytes)
*** 27.67% of uncompressed inode table size (1275440 bytes)

Directory table size 371621 bytes (362.91 Kbytes)
*** 43.00% of uncompressed directory table size (864220 bytes)
Number of duplicate files found 1350
Number of inodes 35927
Number of files 24257
Number of fragments 1856

Number of symbolic links* 8667
Number of device nodes 86
Number of fifo nodes 0
Number of socket nodes 0
Number of directories 2917
Number of ids (unique uids + gids) 19
Number of uids 2
*** root (0)

*** libuuid (100)
Number of gids 18
*** root (0)
*** video (44)
*** audio (29)
*** tty (5)
*** messagebus (104)
*** kmem (15)
*** disk (6)
*** shadow (42)
*** fuse (106)
*** crontab (102)

*** mail (8)
*** lpadmin (107)
*** haldaemon (105)
*** utmp (43)
*** staff (50)
*** src (40)
*** libuuid (101)
*** adm (4)
Info: port 2000 is already defined with /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img in inetd.conf

Info: taking no action.
aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$ export LTSP_HANDLE_DAEMONS="false"
aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install cron
Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
cron is already the newest version.
aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$ sudo gedit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ltsp/crontab.sh

aeinstein@ubuntuclassroomkarmicserver:~$

As you can see cron was already installed in the client chroot. Also, there was no /ltsp folder under /i386 in the client chroot so that last step failed. I had to sudo nautilus, create the /i386/ltsp folder, then create crontab.sh. I did the chmod 775 command and updated the client image before restarting the client. Still, no shutdown at the designated time.

I also tried to use the task scheduler program on the server alone to schedule some simple tasks like logging out and opening firefox, but that failed to work as well. If I manually execute the commands from within the task scheduler program the commands will work, but when they are scheduled as a repeating or one-time task they do not execute. Maybe something is wrong with my cron installation?

Also, shouldn't we be able to do this using User Profile Editor (Sabayon) and Task Scheduler?

Here's my lts.conf from this morning:

[Default]
LDM_DIRECTX = True
XRANDR_DISABLE = True
X_RAMPERC = 80
X_MODE_0 = 1280x1024
# Start the crontab creation script
RCFILE_02 = /etc/ltsp/crontab.sh

# Example crontab entry for shutting down thin clients at 16:00:

CRONTAB_01 = "40 10 * * 1-5 /sbin/halt"

Thank in advance for any help you can provide. -joe

Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 11:16:54AM -0800, Joseph Hartman wrote:
> I've had a similar issue this week on Karmic (GNOME, x86). I followed the
> howto for the automatic shutdown on two different servers without success.
> The time on the server shows the same as the time on the clients. I did not
> try to install the NTP server.
>
> This morning I did a third fresh karmic install from the alternate disc,
> installed all updates, created one user for the client, and then tried to
> follow the TCShutdown Howto again. Here are my results:

IIRC, for most NTP servers/implementations, if the delta T gets too big (and
it's right around the two hour mark) the ntp client will refuse to sync up.

The usual way around this would be to run ntpdate -s (to SET the current time
immediately from the NTP source), THEN fire up the ntp client, in order to keep
them in sync.

That's my (possibly mistaken) understanding of it anyway.

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Systems Department | -- Pablo Picasso

Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM
S. Şamil Ardıç

Hi everybody,

> 1) What version of Edubuntu are you using?
We are using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Thin clients are hp t5125.

> 2) Can you post your lts.conf and ntpdate script (including permissions
> of ntpdate) here?
This is the lts.conf
[default]
X_MODE_0 =1024x768
X_COLOR_DEPTH =16
LDM_DIRECX =True
X_RAMPERC =80
X_VIDEORAM =16384
TIMESERVER = <our working time server ip>
RCFILE_01 =/etc/init.d/ntpdate

We disabled crontabs till see the correct time.

ntpdate's permission is -rwxr-xr-x
ntpdate script:

#!/bin/bash
#
LTSP_TIMESERVER=$(getltscfg TIMESERVER)
if [ -n "$LTSP_TIMESERVER" ]; then
ntpdate $LTSP_TIMESERVER &
else
ntpdate ntp.ubuntu.com
fi

> 3) Did you ltsp-update-image after you made your changes?

yes, three times .

Joseph, thanks but, we tried automatic shutdown first. When the time
is different, we applied install ntp server howto.
Scott, ntpdate -s didn't changed anything.

Cheers,
Samil Ardic

Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Jordan Erickson

Hi Şamil,

Is your /etc/init.d/ntpdate located at /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/init.d ? The
RCFILE_NN stanzas are in relation to the client chroot, so you have to
put the ntpdate script in the right place. Please verify this. Also,
rebuild the client chroot if you just now put it in the /opt/ltsp
location above.

I'm guessing something regarding this is the problem since you said in
your original e-mail the time gets set to the server AFTER logging in.
RCFILE_NN stanzas happen during client bootup, not after user login.

Sincerely,
Jordan/Lns

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions
http://www.logicalnetworking.net
707-636-5678

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

US Department of Defense releases memo on open source software
IBM to deliver Ubuntu Linux computers instead of Windows 7
PulseAudio creator talks about the future of Linux audio

Old 11-13-2009, 12:14 PM
S. Şamil Ardıç

We solved this time problem by two practical things.
After I log on my thin client after unlocking root account, I've
noticed it couldn't sync time with ntpdate.
I changed ntpdate script to make sure of it isn't a getting variable
problem from lts.conf(TIMESERVER)

>> #!/bin/bash
>> ntpdate 192.168.2.254

Then I found /etc/ntp.conf file and changed the following line

#broadcast 192.168.123.255
broadcast 192.168.2.255

Thanks for all answers, (yes, they're so quick)
Samil Ardic