-   -   is installing local apps the same in Karmic as Jaunty? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/275795-installing-local-apps-same-karmic-jaunty.html)

Stéphane Graber 11-06-2009 03:57 AM

john wrote:
> Wow! That's what I call a quick response.
>
> Thanks Joseph!
>
> John
>
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Joseph Hartman <jlhartman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> no, it is easier on Karmic. The karmic tutorial is on the LTSP wiki list of
>> howto's:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:28 PM, john <lists.john@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am about to try installing local firefox via local apps on Karmic. I
>>> am following a Howto written for Jaunty
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPLocalAppsJaunty
>>>
>>> Will this work, or are there changes in the way Local Apps are handled
>>> that I should know about?
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> John

Just a few notes:
- LOCAL_APPS=True should already be the default in Ubuntu (so you
shouldn't have to set it)
- If you set LOCAL_APPS_MENU = True and don't set
LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS then all the available localapps will be exported.
That may be easier in some cases (where you don't want whitelisting of
localapps)
- Is there any reason to force DNS_SERVER and SEARCH_DOMAIN ? These
two should be set using the DHCP, if not please file a bug.

Thanks for the howto.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

john 11-06-2009 06:08 PM

is installing local apps the same in Karmic as Jaunty?

Hi David et al.

The link to Joseph's howto is located here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP

The direct url is

David Groos 11-06-2009 06:33 PM

is installing local apps the same in Karmic as Jaunty?

I'm confused, that how to is for Jaunty (says so in the title and on the disclaimer at the top), not Karmic.* it looks like Joseph says that it is different 'easier' than Jaunty.* I'm wondering about that difference.

Thanks!
David

Joseph Hartman 11-06-2009 07:48 PM

is installing local apps the same in Karmic as Jaunty?

You're right David, that was the incorrect direct link from John. Here is the correct link for the Karmic howto:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSPKarmicLocalAppsFirefox

It is, however, also linked where John said:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP

It is about 10 lines down under the "LTSP-Specific Configurations" section in case you need it again.

If you are going to go through the howto you might take Stephane's advice into consideration. I'm going to go through the howto later this afternoon following the new advice and if everything works I'll update the howto.

Good luck! -joe