-   -   ?users-admin default /home/user permissions? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/274578-users-admin-default-home-user-permissions.html)

Dagfinn Stangeland 11-04-2009 12:40 PM

?users-admin default /home/user permissions?

I'm on edubuntu 8.04.3 which is continually updated.

The system runs as an LTSP server and has about 120 users.

When I use the users-admin tool to make new users the newly created user's home folder gets these permissions: drwxr-xr-x.

I find it strange that others has r and x permissions and I definitely don't want that in our environment.

I've read and searched around without finding any way to get users-admin to change it's default behaviour.

I've set the umask from 022 to 007(), that works for general dir and file behaviour, but it didn't affect users-admin.

Anyone in the know on this?

Dagfinn

Klaus Ade Johnstad 11-04-2009 01:13 PM

Onsdag 4. november 2009 14.40.30 skrev Dagfinn Stangeland :
> I've set the umask from 022 to 007(), that works for general dir and
> file behaviour, but it didn't affect users-admin.

Yes, that has not anything to do with the newly created homedirs.

> Anyone in the know on this?

One way would be to change the permisson on /etc/skel itself (if that
tool uses /etc/skel), since that normally is the "birthplace" of newly
created homedirs, or have a look at /etc/adduser.conf or
/etc/default/useradd.

--
Klaus Ade
klaus@bzz.no