Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 AM
"Harry Sweet"

Default How likely to work would a Jaunty-to-Karmic server upgrade, be?

I hope to find out tomorrow. I started the upgrade before I left work.

Of course, I have a known working partimage-image so I can restore the existing system
in <4 minutes if anything bad should happen. I know how long it takes because I borked
the server a couple of weeks ago trying to uninstall some weird software.

I would definitely recommend taking that precaution. Check out the Linux Rescue CD

And oh, yeah, doing the upgrade will just upgrade the server. You need to also chroot and
ltsp-- help me with the command.. or the clients will still have the old sytem.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 AM
"Harry Sweet"

Three minutes and 46 seconds, to be precise : )

Round 1

Almost got there. But I restored at the end of the day.
I copied the new one to an image and I plan on returning soon.

There were some network issues... The supposedly
static server ip and DNS kept on getting changes/lost.
I could get it working, but how it behaved after a reboot
was random.

I think this is the problem....seems there are 2 things fighting for control.

Round 2, I'll restore the new system and try the fix from the forum.

It fixed problems I was having with Inkscape and Gimp.

-----------------------
On cloning

We use Clonezilla for our windows systems. Clonezilla uses partimage.

We just have a 500 gig usb hard drive for server backups. Partimage
takes about 15 minutes to do a full gzipped image and about 4 to put it back.

We have /home in a separate partition, so there is not that much to clone.
Gzipped, its maybe 5 gigs, maybe less a bit.

I know it works, because It worked today, and this is not the first time I needed it.

I'm not sure it handles ext4 yet, so I'm staying on 3

have fun;;

>>> David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> 11/03/09 7:11 PM >>>
How's it looking Harry?

And, how can you restore a system in <4 minutes? I use clonezilla and to
burn the server image back onto a server it takes some 3-4 hours... I don't
use partimage though--seems like that would would only repair part of the
deal?

David

Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
"Harry Sweet"

All seem well after:

sudo apt-get remove network-manager network-manager-gnome