Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Edubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/)
-   -   no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386 (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/272041-no-ltsp-server-option-ubuntu-9-10-alternate-i386.html)

Asmo Koskinen 10-30-2009 07:59 PM

no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386
 
john kirjoitti:

> I downloaded the ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso and I don't see the
> "install ltsp server" option.
> Can anyone give me some guidance?

It is under your thumb - F4:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall

After installation read all in this page - to get a big picture:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

john 10-30-2009 08:04 PM

no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386
 
> It is under your thumb - F4:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall
>
> After installation read all in this page - to get a big picture:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/
>
> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.
>

Thanks Asmo,

I had inadvertently tabbed down to check memory, so when I hit f4 I
didn't have an install ltsp-server option. Tabbing back up to install
ubuntu solved my issue. :-P

John

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

David Groos 10-30-2009 11:09 PM

no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386
 
I would like to jump in here for a moment and highlight that there are multitudes of things that can waylay users who are smart, tech-wise-but-not-experts-in-the-system.* Things that seem trivial to those who have been on the path many times, can be show stoppers to those of us who haven't, this e-mail being a perfect example. This is why the expert users in the community are so critical to the increase in use of Edubuntu.* I know from experience!* THANK YOU EXPERTS!


David

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, john <lists.john@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is under your thumb - F4:

>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall

>

> After installation read all in this page - to get a big picture:

>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/

>

> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

>



Thanks Asmo,



I had inadvertently tabbed down to check memory, so when I hit f4 I

didn't have an install ltsp-server option. Tabbing back up to install

ubuntu solved my issue. :-P



John



--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" 11-01-2009 10:54 AM

no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386
 
David Groos wrote:
> I would like to jump in here for a moment and highlight that there are
> multitudes of things that can waylay users who are smart,
> tech-wise-but-not-experts-in-the-system. Things that seem trivial to
> those who have been on the path many times, can be show stoppers to
> those of us who haven't, this e-mail being a perfect example. This is
> why the expert users in the community are so critical to the increase in
> use of Edubuntu. I know from experience! THANK YOU EXPERTS!

You're completely right. In my opinion it would be more intuitive to
have it as an option in the installer, but for technical reasons that
haven't been completely possible. There's a chance that we might be
shipping a pre-built LTSP chroot on the disc so that we don't need the
alternate install anymore (will almost half the DVD size) and it will
also allow for a live LTSP session. I speak under correction, but I
think a pre-built ltsp image may also make it much simpler to install it
using an option in the Ubuntu installer, so hopefully we'll be able to
implement all of this for the next release :)

-Jonathan

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

john 11-02-2009 03:43 PM

no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386
 
>
> You're completely right. In my opinion it would be more intuitive to
> have it as an option in the installer, but for technical reasons that
> haven't been completely possible. There's a chance that we might be
> shipping a pre-built LTSP chroot on the disc so that we don't need the
> alternate install anymore (will almost half the DVD size) and it will
> also allow for a live LTSP session. I speak under correction, but I
> think a pre-built ltsp image may also make it much simpler to install it
> using an option in the Ubuntu installer, so hopefully we'll be able to
> implement all of this for the next release :)
>

On a related note. The build-ltsp-chroot step ALWAYS fails on my
servers. This has happened since 7.x and onward. On different servers
from different vendors.

This issue seems to be that I have multiple nics in the machine and
the installer doesn't know/doesn't want to arbitrarily assign my nics.
The fix for me is to delete and rebuild the chroot after install. I
would guess this problem has cropped up for many new users, and
resulted in many "ltsp doesn't work for me" complaints.

cheers,

John

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

Joseph Hartman 11-02-2009 05:53 PM

no ltsp-server option in ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386
 
I just used the 32 bit Karmic alternate install disc on a dell optiplex gx240 P4 and the ltsp install option worked fine out of the box. I did have the same problem as you when using Jaunty though. -joe



On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM, john <lists.john@gmail.com> wrote:


>

> You're completely right. In my opinion it would be more intuitive to

> have it as an option in the installer, but for technical reasons that

> haven't been completely possible. There's a chance that we might be

> shipping a pre-built LTSP chroot on the disc so that we don't need the

> alternate install anymore (will almost half the DVD size) and it will

> also allow for a live LTSP session. I speak under correction, but I

> think a pre-built ltsp image may also make it much simpler to install it

> using an option in the Ubuntu installer, so hopefully we'll be able to

> implement all of this for the next release :)

>



On a related note. The build-ltsp-chroot step ALWAYS fails on my

servers. This has happened since 7.x and onward. On different servers

from different vendors.



This issue seems to be that I have multiple nics in the machine and

the installer doesn't know/doesn't want to arbitrarily assign my nics.

The fix for me is to delete and rebuild the chroot after install. I

would guess this problem has cropped up for many new users, and

resulted in many "ltsp doesn't work for me" complaints.



cheers,



John



--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.