Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Nicolas Roussi

Default No DHCP or no proxyDHCP offers received

I am writing this in case someone else encounters this problem. A week ago one of my servers started acting up; it would not share anything in the /etc/exports and only 3 thin clients would boot up. SSH and any sudo command was taking forever. The setup was:

Asus DSBV-DX
8GB FB Ram
3ware 9650SE 4 x 500GB Seagates RAID 5
One Xeon 2.33
PERC5 controlling an MD1000 with 15x500GB
The OS was Ubuntu 8.04 64 Bit with the edubuntu add on. I installed a few OSes on it and it was working fine so I thought it was an Ubuntu problem but then I installed K12LTSP and I got more or less the same error. (As a parenthesis, it would be nice to have something like system-config-authentication of Centos on Ubuntu for LDAP configuration instead of jumping through hoops trying to configure an LDAP client)

I changed the motherboard to a Tyan Tempest 5300 with the same CPU and RAM, one SATA drive, the PERC5 and a second NIC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106114&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-) and now everything works like before. Apparently there was something wrong with something on the motherboard but there was nothing in the system logs, how can that be?

--
Nicolas Roussi