Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Richard Doyle

Default Way to auto-login gnome on startup?

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 17:28 -0600, David Groos wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Another issue to solve
>
> I donīt have access to the room that will house the server for my
> thin-client classroom network. The computer has iLO so I can remotely
> restart and even start a computer that is shut down. However, I need
> to use a GUI (Though I can use CLI, Iīm more of a visual person than a
> text person) on the server, ssh just ainīt enough... Unfortunately,
> one canīt VNC into a computer unless someone is logged into it first
> through GNOME. So hereīs my thought:
>
> On server start-up, auto log-in the admin user and upon logging in
> immediately go into screen-lock up mode. Then, I can VNC into the
> server and unlock screen! Easy, well, I donīt know if it can be done,
> much less how easy to set up! Iīd appreciate any advise on the topic!
Run NX on the server instead. The non-free (as in speech) version from
nomachine.com is free (as in beer) for one or two users, or you can try
freenx.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 AM
David Groos

Thanks Richard--ecstatic would clearly describe my emotional state when
I VPNed into the district intranet, freenxed into the server, opened
the Terminal in the gui that appeared, typed 'sudo reboot', and then a
few minutes later, I was able to freeNX into that server and saw the
beautiful Edubuntu desktop once again!

All I did was, from this page: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX,

Open your apt sources list
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and append the two lines for the repository
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ubuntu hardy main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ubuntu hardy main
I customized it to 'hardy' but any of the following that apply, work (it says): dapper, hardy or intrepid.

Then I tried to:

Save and then close.
Then Update Apt sudo*apt-get*update

After you add the repository, then install the freenx package (using Aptitude to install extra needed packages). sudo*aptitude*install*freenx

But couldn't get passed the message that the keys didn't match or something.
So,
I went to Synaptic, searched for 'freenx' and then selected the
'freenx' app for upgrade, applied it, ignored the security warnings,
and installed it.

Then, I opened freenx, seems I configured it (don't choose to
disable the security encoding as it runs on port 22 and you will get an
error message.)* Then, I downloaded the client version for my mac
laptop, configured it... and it worked :-).

One more barrier removed!

BTW--I recommend FreeNX to anyone using VNC currently, it looks a lot nicer and is smoother/more responsive.