FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default Which Squid?

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, David Groos wrote:

> 2009/03/10 22:51:46| parseConfigFile: line 113 unrecognized: 'max_filedesc
> 0'

My memory is a little hazy but I don't think this setting (which places no
limit on the file descriptors) is only allowed in squid3, but not in squid
2.X. I think you need to comment it out. In squid v2.x on debian, this
setting is made in /etc/default/squid. You should probably set it to 1024
and up it if you start seeing logs that you're running out of file
descriptors.

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 AM
David Groos
 
Default Which Squid?

Thanks Christopher and Gavin

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:


Hello David,



What is the setting of



cache_effective_user*cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid







in your squid.conf?



Please also remove your max_filedesc setting from squid.conf and change the number in /etc/default/squid instead.I commented out the max_filedesc line and the number in /etc/default/squid was 1024 and I left that.



When I tried to restart squid the max_filedesc was no longer an error--thanks!
There still is the permissions error...* should I set the user and group to proxy?

David

PS* here is a copy of the Terminal output:


dgroos@gcos1:/etc/squid$ sudo /etc/init.d/squid start
** Starting Squid HTTP proxy squid*********************************************
** Creating squid spool directory structure
2009/03/11 21:33:59| Creating Swap Directories


FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /var/spool/squid/00: (13) Permission denied
Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE18): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.000 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.000 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB


Page faults with physical i/o: 0

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

Hello David,



What is the setting of



cache_effective_user



in your squid.conf?



Please also remove your max_filedesc setting from squid.conf and change the number in /etc/default/squid instead.



cheers,



Christopher



David Groos wrote:


Thanks Christopher--I did and this is what I got: *(I also put this thread back on the edubuntu-list!)



dgroos@gcos1:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/squid start

[sudo] password for dgroos:

** Starting Squid HTTP proxy squid * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Creating squid spool directory structure

2009/03/10 22:51:46| parseConfigFile: line 113 unrecognized: 'max_filedesc 0'

2009/03/10 22:51:46| Creating Swap Directories

FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /var/spool/squid/00: (13) Permission denied

Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE18): Terminated abnormally.

CPU Usage: 0.000 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.000 sys

Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB

Page faults with physical i/o: 0

2009/03/10 22:51:46| parseConfigFile: line 113 unrecognized: 'max_filedesc 0'

* * * * * * * *






--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Which Squid?

David Groos wrote:
> Thanks Christopher and Gavin
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>
> Hello David,
>
> What is the setting of
>
> cache_effective_user
>
>
> cache_effective_user squid
> cache_effective_group squid
That is your problem right there.


Default user and group is proxy and Kubuntu is setup for that which is
why you find /var/spool/squid owned by proxy.


You can either comment out this setting or change the ownership of
/var/spool/squid.


cheers,

Christopher

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
David Groos
 
Default Which Squid?

This did it :-)

Using the following command provided by Gavin:*
$ sudo chown proxy.proxy /var/spool/squid/ (but changing 'proxy.proxy' to 'squid.squid')
changed the ownership, then using the command provided by Christopher:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/squid start
simply worked.* Thanks Gents!

David

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

David Groos wrote:


Thanks Christopher and Gavin



On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk <mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:




* *Hello David,



* *What is the setting of



* *cache_effective_user



*cache_effective_user squid

cache_effective_group squid


That is your problem right there.





Default user and group is proxy and Kubuntu is setup for that which is why you find /var/spool/squid owned by proxy.





You can either comment out this setting or change the ownership of /var/spool/squid.





cheers,



Christopher



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org