Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Nicolas Roussi

Default Server Suddenly Started Hunging up

I have an LTSP 8.04 64 bit server with a few clients and it has been
running pretty well for the past few months. I have a large drive
attached to it and I use that for the /home for all my users. Since
yesterday, every time I try to run a command like sudo ... it takes for
ever. It does not offer DHCP anymore to any clients (I did the
ltsp-update-keys).* It does not export the /home to any other server
and I cannot find anything in the logs to point me to the problem. The
only thing I installed on the server was the gnome-watchdog with the
--no-architecture flag enforced so that I could install it on the
64bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks
--
Nicolas Roussi

Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Jordan Erickson

Hey Nicolas,

At first thought it sounds like your hard drive might be failing (I
could be dead wrong, just a guess based on experience). The sudden
hanging with commands, the DHCP-not-serving issue and no-exporting-home
things seem to be a commonality with something very basic in the system.
IIWY I'd run an FSCK on your drive. I have never run into issues with
gnome-watchdog (have it running at 9 sites), but I'm also not running
64-bit version. A memtest on your RAM wouldn't hurt, either.

Have you tried rebooting the server? I'd examine the logs a bit closer -
there's got to be a clue in there somewhere.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nicolas Roussi

Thanks for the reply Jordan. But I should change the subject to "server crapped out" . I had the OS installed on a 3ware raid 5 and the array was fine. I rebooted the server many times and it run FSCK by itself with no errors. I formatted the drive and created a RAID0 array to install on. Everything went fine until it tried to install grub. It failed for GRUB so I selected LILO to be installed instead. While it boots up, it stops at the command line saying this "(initramfs)". I dont know what that means. I am thinking of removing the raid card alltogether.

--
Nicolas Roussi

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Jordan Erickson

You're not running network/remote syslog are you? (ala
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/TCSyslogToLTSPServer ) If
you are, turn it off.

- Jordan/Lns

Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Gavin McCullagh

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009, Nicolas Roussi wrote:

> No I am not. Also, on every sudo command it takes forever.

Is your DNS working okay?

Gavin

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Nicolas Roussi

I am guessing that it is. I recently configured a bind9 server on the network which is also the LDAP server but I disabled bind9. These are the files on the server that is not working. I have included hosts, hostname, interfaces, dhcpd.conf, ifconfig -a and resolv.conf. I am really puzzled about this. The help is greatly appreciated.

nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1****** edubuntuS2 localhost
127.0.1.1****** edubuntuS2.home edubuntuS2

::1**** ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ cat /etc/hostname
edubuntuS2

nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
*** address 192.168.0.254
*** netmask 255.255.255.0
*** network 192.168.0.0
*** broadcast 192.168.0.255

nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ cat /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
*** range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
*** option domain-name "example.com";

*** option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
*** option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
*** option routers 192.168.0.1;
#*** next-server 192.168.0.1;
#*** get-lease-hostnames true;
*** option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

*** #option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
*** option root-path "/opt/ltsp/amd64";
******* if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
#******* filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";

******* filename "/ltsp/amd64/pxelinux.0";
*** } else {
******* filename "/ltsp/amd64/nbi.img";
#******* filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
*** }
}

nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ ifconfig -a

eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1f:c6:1b:4d:f8
********* inet addr:192.168.2.85* Bcast:192.168.2.255* Mask:255.255.255.0
********* inet6 addr: fe80::21f:c6ff:fe1b:4df8/64 Scope:Link
********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1

********* RX packets:343737 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:221723 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX bytes:281611267 (268.5 MB)* TX bytes:67461581 (64.3 MB)

********* Base address:0x2000 Memory:d4300000-d4320000

eth1***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1f:c6:1b:4d:f9
********* inet addr:192.168.0.254* Bcast:192.168.0.255* Mask:255.255.255.0
********* inet6 addr: fe80::21f:c6ff:fe1b:4df9/64 Scope:Link

********* UP BROADCAST MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

********* RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)* TX bytes:4271 (4.1 KB)
********* Base address:0x2020 Memory:d4320000-d4340000

lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback
********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0
********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX packets:29670 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:29670 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

********* RX bytes:1507758 (1.4 MB)* TX bytes:1507758 (1.4 MB)
nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 66.255.85.8
nameserver 66.255.85.9

Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009, Nicolas Roussi wrote:

> I am guessing that it is. I recently configured a bind9 server on the
> network which is also the LDAP server but I disabled bind9. These are the
> files on the server that is not working. I have included hosts, hostname,
> interfaces, dhcpd.conf, ifconfig -a and resolv.conf. I am really puzzled
> about this. The help is greatly appreciated.

This seems to be the relevant file, ie this sets what the server itself
uses for DNS,

> nicolas@edubuntuS2:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 66.255.85.8
> nameserver 66.255.85.9

Can the server contact these dns servers? You can test the dns servers
with something like:

dig www.edubuntu.org @66.255.85.8
dig www.edubuntu.org @66.255.85.9

A DNS issue might explain your delays with sudo. I don't imagine it
explains much more than that though.

Gavin

Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Nicolas Roussi

I have formatted yet again the server and this time I installed 8.04 i386 thinking that this will resolve the issue since I have another on the LAN that works perfectly. After the 3rd client boots up I get the same thing No DHCP or no proxyDHCP offers received. Could it be that the network card or the motherboard blew something?