Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 AM
"Charles Austin"

Default LDAP

Hello,
I have a mix of thin client and thick clients for Edubuntu 7.10.* I would like to have the thick clients authenticate and mount the user's home directory from the server.*

I am guessing that LDAP and Samba is the best way to do this, but I am thoroughly confused at the moment.

I have tried the steps at this tutorial:
http://www.debuntu.org/ldap-server-and-linux-ldap-clients
and can get the server to run (I am able to query the LDAP database while logged into the server).

When I try to set up a thick client, I cannot get it to return anything other than the local /etc/passwd file when I do
sudo getent passwd

Once I reboot the thick client, I am unable to login at all (I guess that LDAP client is trying to authenticate, but failing, and also not allowing local login).* I don't see any error messages on the server (syslog,
daemon.log) - where would LDAP errors be logged?

I see all sorts of tutorials floating around, and have tried bits and pieces of a few.* Same results.

Any hints on a good document?

Thanks,
Charles

Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Charles Austin wrote:

> I have a mix of thin client and thick clients for Edubuntu 7.10. I would
> like to have the thick clients authenticate and mount the user's home
> directory from the server.
>
> I am guessing that LDAP and Samba is the best way to do this, but I am
> thoroughly confused at the moment.

It doesn't really help you with your LDAP issues but I would say LDAP + NFS
is probably a better choice. Samba is really meant for connecting unix and
windows, whereas NFS is designed for unix and unix.

Gavin

Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks for your email. I'll be away on leave until 7th Jan.
Have a safe and happy Christmas

Rob Shugg

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Hello!

I have all my users in an ldap and the conneckt the edubuntu server to tht
ldap server.
A also have all the users home on the server ant mount that katalogs to
home on the edu server.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenLDAPServer

this is how you install your ldap server but the clinet part in this howto
i wrong if you using 7.10 then use this how to inseted to connect the
clinet mashine.

Test so that the clinet have connecktion to the server and then proceed to
using nfs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo?highlight=%28nfs%29
Here is an howto how to use NFS

U must have a program so that you can manage your users in the ldap server.
Webmin i very simpel and good in this.
http://www.webmin.com/

// matte

Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 AM
"Charles Austin"

Matte,

Thanks!* That was the info I needed.* I have one client now authenticating on the LDAP server and mounting the user's home directory via NFS.* I now understand how to get the rest of them going.

Now for the task of migrating the groups, and setting up the LDAP accounts.* Webmin looks good.

I will document my set up on the school website, and the steps to get it working in the next couple of weeks.*

Thanks again!

Charles Austin

On Jan 1, 2008 6:32 AM, <

Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 PM
"Joy Methew"

hello all,

i am working on openldap -2.3. i wann give two "dn" on one
ldap server.

like i wann make one data base for example.com and other for
example.net.

dc=example,dc=com

dc=example,dc=net

how i can give this is in slapd.conf file???

i m useing migration script for creating data base.

another question:

when i give dc=stationx,dc=example,dc=com

i create database from migration script it`s not working...why???

Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 PM

Because you created it wrong

Post the output of the error log
And your ldif file please

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 AM
"Joy Methew"

for first qquestion or 2nd question????

Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 AM
"Joy Methew"

hello all.....
i configure (simple)ldap server. when i restart the
system i got error like...
system message bus..........

it`s take lot of time to start system.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 AM