-   -   need a few quick pointers on intel 945G video chipset and 1440x900 resolution (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/251504-need-few-quick-pointers-intel-945g-video-chipset-1440x900-resolution.html)

Mika Pflüger 02-24-2009 11:54 AM

need a few quick pointers on intel 945G video chipset and 1440x900 resolution

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 07:36:53 -0500
Patrick McKnight <pem725@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get my new MSI Wind thin client to work but the i810
> xorg driver seems to balk at any reasonable resolution for my
> widescreen lcd panel.
Uh, why are you using i810? What Ubuntu version are you running?
For an in-depth discussion of why not to use i810:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/i810

> While searching the web, I found a solution but
> it calls for 915resolution (a CLI program that helps resolve the
> resolution limitations of the intel graphics chipsets) but I have no
> idea whether to run the program from an xterm on the network or a
> local xterm (via Ctl+Alt+F1). Any help - even avoiding the
> 915resolution hack - would be greatly appreciated.
The Ubuntu-help page for short (first paragraph):
"It [the intel driver] is more up to date, has similar configuration
settings, and, most importantly, you do not need the i915 tool anymore.
This means your fancy monitor with a strange resolution will work out
of the box."

So, maybe consider using the intel driver instead.

Cheers,

Mika