FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 AM
David Groos
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Last weekend, while working on the LTSP server setup on an LTSP client, the client all of a sudden logged out all of a sudden!* It was strange!* This has happened maybe 4 times since then--I haven´t figured out a pattern.* Didn´t know exactly which log to check out so reviewed them all but nothing stood out.* I´ve googled but to no avail.* Anyone heard of this?


Thanks
David

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
"Luis Miguel R."
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

El viernes, 20 febrero del 2009 a las 10:13:30, David Groos escribió:
> Last weekend, while working on the LTSP server setup on an LTSP client, the
> client all of a sudden logged out all of a sudden! It was strange! This
> has happened maybe 4 times since then--I haven?t figured out a pattern.
> Didn?t know exactly which log to check out so reviewed them all but nothing
> stood out. I?ve googled but to no avail. Anyone heard of this?
>
> Thanks
> David

Hello, for things like this I dont want LTSP (yet), how many hours are
you willing to waste fixing extrange and undocumented errors and
problems?

For me LTSP isnt mature yet, you cant compare it to other linux
solutionss, firewall, databases, data servers, internet servers, all are
mature technologies, well supported and very well documented, if a
problem appears you allways find the solution searching on the web,
mailing lists, forums, etc, but with LTSP...

Regards.


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Asmo Koskinen
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Luis Miguel R. kirjoitti:

> For me LTSP isnt mature yet, you cant compare it to other linux
> solutionss, firewall, databases, data servers, internet servers, all are
> mature technologies, well supported and very well documented, if a
> problem appears you allways find the solution searching on the web,
> mailing lists, forums, etc, but with LTSP...

Well, well... Not to me. I have used LTSP over four years, first SuSE
9.x/ltsp3.x, now Ubuntu 8.04. I have always found very friendly, active
and talent community round LTSP.

Sorry, if your experience is totally different.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
David Van Assche
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Where's that bitter resentment coming from? I'd say LTSP 5 is very
much on the road to being a stable solution. The remaining bugs and
errors are very far and between and usually very specific to strange
hardware. To my knowledge LTSP can pretty much do about anything
people have asked of it till now, be it local apps, local devices,
clustered servers, custom clients, autologin, printing, etc.

Anyway, to help the first user, I'd say take a look at the logs and
monitor what happens when the thin client logs out. It would be
interesting to see if it is related to specific apps being run, or
server cpu or ram being stressed, that kind of thing.

kind Regards,
David Van Assche

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Luis Miguel R. <luismiguelro@gmail.com> wrote:
> El viernes, 20 febrero del 2009 a las 10:13:30, David Groos escribió:
>> Last weekend, while working on the LTSP server setup on an LTSP client, the
>> client all of a sudden logged out all of a sudden! It was strange! This
>> has happened maybe 4 times since then--I haven?t figured out a pattern.
>> Didn?t know exactly which log to check out so reviewed them all but nothing
>> stood out. I?ve googled but to no avail. Anyone heard of this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> David
>
> Hello, for things like this I dont want LTSP (yet), how many hours are
> you willing to waste fixing extrange and undocumented errors and
> problems?
>
> For me LTSP isnt mature yet, you cant compare it to other linux
> solutionss, firewall, databases, data servers, internet servers, all are
> mature technologies, well supported and very well documented, if a
> problem appears you allways find the solution searching on the web,
> mailing lists, forums, etc, but with LTSP...
>
> Regards.
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
"M Rathburn"
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

> -----Original Message-----
> [mailto:edubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of
> Luis Miguel R.
> Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:26 AM
> El viernes, 20 febrero del 2009 a las 10:13:30, David Groos escribió:
> > Last weekend, while working on the LTSP server setup on an LTSP
> > client, the client all of a sudden logged out all of a
> sudden! It was
> > strange! This has happened maybe 4 times since then--I
> haven?t figured out a pattern.
> > Didn?t know exactly which log to check out so reviewed them all but
> > nothing stood out. I?ve googled but to no avail. Anyone
> heard of this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > David
>
> Hello, for things like this I dont want LTSP (yet), how many
> hours are you willing to waste fixing extrange and
> undocumented errors and problems?
>
> For me LTSP isnt mature yet, you cant compare it to other
> linux solutionss, firewall, databases, data servers, internet
> servers, all are mature technologies, well supported and very
> well documented, if a problem appears you allways find the
> solution searching on the web, mailing lists, forums, etc,
> but with LTSP...
>
> Regards.
>
----------------------------

Eh? We switched from Fedora/CentOS based LTSP to Edubuntu primarily for the
fact that documentation was far superior than the aforementioned
alternatives.

Shot in the dark here, but is your server running any sort of power backup
monitoring software?


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Jim Christiansen
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

I see this every 6 to 8 months when some device or more often a cable run becomes damaged or is wired wrong.* What has changed on your network?

LTSP stations are far more network intensive than a similar number of standalone computers.* First you need a stable network.* Time to troubleshoot the network perhaps.

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
David Groos
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Thanks, Jim.* Good thought--I'll double check the network cables,
thanks.* As far as I remember, this started happening after I did a fix
to get flash working on my site (dealing with the issue of pulseaudio).

David

(sorry for double copy Jim--I realize I hadn't replied to edubuntu list)





On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Jim Christiansen <jim.c.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:

I see this every 6 to 8 months when some device or more often a cable run becomes damaged or is wired wrong.* What has changed on your network?

LTSP stations are far more network intensive than a similar number of standalone computers.* First you need a stable network.* Time to troubleshoot the network perhaps.



--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users




--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
David Groos
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Thanks for the idea--as far as I know the server is not running power backup monitoring software.* Also, I should add that 2 times it didn't just log me out where I could simply log back in, it went to a black screen with a pattern of short horizontal lines running through it.* This was with an LCD display.*


David

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM, M Rathburn <stretchem@gmail.com> wrote:

> -----Original Message-----

> [mailto:edubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of

> Luis Miguel R.

> Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:26 AM

> El viernes, 20 febrero del 2009 a las 10:13:30, David Groos escribió:

> > Last weekend, while working on the LTSP server setup on an LTSP

> > client, the client all of a sudden logged out all of a

> sudden! *It was

> > strange! *This has happened maybe 4 times since then--I

> haven?t figured out a pattern.

> > Didn?t know exactly which log to check out so reviewed them all but

> > nothing stood out. *I?ve googled but to no avail. *Anyone

> heard of this?

> >

> > Thanks

> > David

>

> Hello, for things like this I dont want LTSP (yet), how many

> hours are you willing to waste fixing extrange and

> undocumented errors and problems?

>

> For me LTSP isnt mature yet, you cant compare it to other

> linux solutionss, firewall, databases, data servers, internet

> servers, all are mature technologies, well supported and very

> well documented, if a problem appears you allways find the

> solution searching on the web, mailing lists, forums, etc,

> but with LTSP...

>

> Regards.

>

----------------------------



Eh? *We switched from Fedora/CentOS based LTSP to Edubuntu primarily for the

fact that documentation was far superior than the aforementioned

alternatives.



Shot in the dark here, but is your server running any sort of power backup

monitoring software?





--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
David Groos
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Thanks David--I did try and check the logs but nothing jumped out at me.* Which logs would be the most likely candidates to examine?*

David

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:40 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:

Where's that bitter resentment coming from? I'd say LTSP 5 is very

much on the road to being a stable solution. The remaining bugs and

errors are very far and between and usually very specific to strange

hardware. To my knowledge LTSP can pretty much do about anything

people have asked of it till now, be it local apps, local devices,

clustered servers, custom clients, autologin, printing, etc.



Anyway, to help the first user, I'd say take a look at the logs and

monitor what happens when the thin client logs out. It would be

interesting to see if it is related to specific apps being run, or

server cpu or ram being stressed, that kind of thing.



kind Regards,

David Van Assche



On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Luis Miguel R. <luismiguelro@gmail.com> wrote:

> El viernes, 20 febrero del 2009 a las 10:13:30, David Groos escribió:

>> Last weekend, while working on the LTSP server setup on an LTSP client, the

>> client all of a sudden logged out all of a sudden! *It was strange! *This

>> has happened maybe 4 times since then--I haven?t figured out a pattern.

>> Didn?t know exactly which log to check out so reviewed them all but nothing

>> stood out. *I?ve googled but to no avail. *Anyone heard of this?

>>

>> Thanks

>> David

>

> Hello, for things like this I dont want LTSP (yet), how many hours are

> you willing to waste fixing extrange and undocumented errors and

> problems?

>

> For me LTSP isnt mature yet, you cant compare it to other linux

> solutionss, firewall, databases, data servers, internet servers, all are

> mature technologies, well supported and very well documented, if a

> problem appears you allways find the solution searching on the web,

> mailing lists, forums, etc, but with LTSP...

>

> Regards.

>

>

> --

> edubuntu-users mailing list

> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

>



--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Jim Christiansen
 
Default LTSP client sometimes logs out unexpectedly...

Oh- flash...* I think you may need something like lib-curl.* I could be wrong on the package name altogether.* It should be a dependency but flash is happy to install without it.* I'm using K12LTSP and had to deal with this...* Also, if you have done an update and are using 64 bit I've seen the 64 bit browser become the active browser app after the update.* Nothing will work properly until you get the 32 bit version back running with the 32 bit plugins...* I'm not running edubuntu though so take these any way you wish :-)


On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, Jim.* Good thought--I'll double check the network cables,
thanks.* As far as I remember, this started happening after I did a fix
to get flash working on my site (dealing with the issue of pulseaudio).

David

(sorry for double copy Jim--I realize I hadn't replied to edubuntu list)






On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Jim Christiansen <jim.c.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:


I see this every 6 to 8 months when some device or more often a cable run becomes damaged or is wired wrong.* What has changed on your network?

LTSP stations are far more network intensive than a similar number of standalone computers.* First you need a stable network.* Time to troubleshoot the network perhaps.




--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users






--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org