Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
David Groos

Default I need to install the java, use-old-lib-version, work around, and don't get how to do this

Hi All,

I've needed to improve java performance on my LTSP clients because key apps for my students are java-based.* Actually, only one app is stand-alone: CmapTools (http://cmap.ihmc.us/conceptmap.html), the other is an amazing collection of web apps: http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/index.php though they can be downloaded individually and run standalone, too.

I read the series of instructions here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ia32-libs/+bug/277069.* Some describe how to solve the issue though I look at the download page in 1 reference and there are several files--sorry I don't get it and not sure how to implement).*

Also, there is the issue of the workaround being reset back to the Hardy file during an update and a couple of workarounds.* The idea that made most sense to me for that issue on the above page was the following, but again, I didn't know how to implement it nor were there any comments that it was a good idea or not by others...

To use an older version of libX11, I would suggest to unpack it in

a different place, and use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment veriable

to point your executables to that place. That way, you don't have

to fight the package system.

For example:

dpkg-deb -x ~//libx11-6_1.1.1-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb /usr/local/foo/libx11-6-6_1.1.1-1ubuntu4_amd64

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/foo/libx11-6-6_1.1.1-1ubuntu4_amd64/usr/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Vincent.
Any help this weekend would be great.* Thanks!

David