Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 PM
john

Default very slow logoff for clients authenticating via winbind

Hi all,

I just done a fresh install of Ubuntu LTS 8.04.2. I've set LTSP up so
that clients can authenticate against active directory via Winbind. My
problem is that users who have domain accounts must wait 30 seconds or
more between clicking the logoff icon on their gnome desktop and
actually being presented with the screen that allow them to log off.
Users with local machine accounts are given the log off pop-up
immediately.

I see in the archives Matt had this problem with LDAP and had a fix
back on Wed Nov 26 19:41:28 GMT 2008. However the fix was detailed.
Can anyone help me solve this for winbind? Or at least help me figure
out where such an issue might be getting logged?

Thanks!

John

Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Steve Rippl

As we're grappling with this we've found that authentication is sped up
if the client actually has a name, so on the server we're giving each
client a dhcp reservation by it's mac address and assigning a unique
name. This is improving our performance in a number of ways, it seems
various pieces were written expecting to get user on machine x etc.
Don't know if this will help with the logout issue, we're using ldap and
have some other problems!

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM
john

Thanks for that Idea Steve. I'll give it a try.

John

Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
john

Hi all,

Just a follow up in case anyone else runs into this problem. I figured
out that I had somehow goofed up the permissions on my
/etc/nsswitch.conf file. It was set to 640. I changed it to be 644 and
my log-offs worked promptly as expected.

John