Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
"Larry Stamm"

Default On the news: World's Largest Desktop Virtualization Deployment - 356,800 Green Workstations

Asmo Koskinen writes:

> On the news:
>
> http://www2.userful.com/company/linux-desktop-virtualization
>
> I watched one video:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_vsEFGMZ8
>
> Seems very similar to iTalc.
>
> I this school system Fedora based? Pop-up window on the video has
> Fedora-logo?

I'm not sure about what technology Userful is employing today, but
just a couple of years ago their system was based on deploying
multi-head workstations using a customized version of Fedora, with
support from Userful. I think you could have up to 12 terminals per
workstation, so it it drastically lowered the hardware cost compared
to the typical one PC per seat configuration. But it had nothing to
do with thin clients or virtualization; they were just taking
advantage of the inherent multi-user features of Linux and the X
windows system.

The press release sounds like they are still using the same
technology, so I am not sure where the "virtualization" happens.
Maybe it is just marketing talk?

Cheers,
--
Larry Stamm, Network Administrator