Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Bill Moseley

Default X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

I'm running Edubuntu/Gutsy LTSP-5.

Thanks to stgraber on IRC my Gnome volume applet works. The solution
was to add this:

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-pulse0.10-0

Well, almost.

When I log in with my admin login the volume applet works.

But, when I log in as a normal user this message is displayed on the
LTSP server:

(It would be nice to have a bit more info in that message.)

and the volume applet does not start for that user (but audio still
works).

Here's the two users. I first suspected a difference in groups
but I tried adding "admin" and "video" to user "hank" and no
difference. And the X11 auth error doesn't really seem like a group
issue. I also tried adding a new user, setting their groups to the
same as mine but still no luck (same auth error).

$ groups moseley foobar hank
moseley : moseley adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner fuse lpadmin admin netdev powerdev
foobar : foobar adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner fuse lpadmin admin netdev powerdev
hank : hank adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape audio dip plugdev scanner fuse

Only "moseley" works.

What else can I look for?

How can I determine what is generating (and why) the X11 wrong auth
error?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org