Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
"Ken Campbell"

Default Hp 1730 lcd monitors +edubuntu 8.04

Hi to all,

I am having some time of it with the hp 1730 flat panels. They come up in
640 480 only. I edited lts.conf in /var/libtftpboot/ltsp/i386 with the
following:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "HWP"
ModelName "HP L1730"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
DefaultColorDepth 16
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

After a reboot of thin client same 640x480 resolution. These hp 1730 are
good for 1280x1024, however, I cannot get that hi res on thin clinet. Any
ideas. (I am still quite new at this).

Thanks,

Kenneth Campbell
Peterborough, NH 03458

Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Patrick McKnight

Kenneth,

What video card drives these flat panels? I suspect you have a video
card driver problem.

Cheers,

Patrick
Patrick E. McKnight, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
George Mason University
MSN 3F5, 4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
703-993-8292 (office)
703-993-1359 (fax)
pmcknigh@gmu.edu
http://mres.gmu.edu

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Patrick McKnight

Kenneth,

Have you setup an lts.conf file in:

/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386

where you specify

XSERVER = i810
X_COLOR_DEPTH = 16

for your clients? The first line specifies the correct xorg driver
for your video card and the second line avoids some of the problems
with 24 bit depth that plagues many of the intel graphic cards with
ltsp.

If you need more assistance with this step, I suggest you consult either:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/

or the various edubuntu online docs.

You need to make sure that you know your specific video card chipset.
You can find the out by either booting your thin client with some usb
distribution or switching over to a terminal as described in the
edubuntu handbook. The problem is not with your monitor (if I am
understanding your current situation correctly) but rather in your
client configuration.

HTH