Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default mass account creation in LTSP fatclient

Sameer Verma kirjoitti:

> I'd like to populate the server with 40 accounts for my class. What
> are some recommended ways?

I like the webmin way:

create:ltsp001:edubuntu:1001:10000:LTSP 001:/home/ltsp001:/bin/bash:::::
create:ltsp002:edubuntu:1002:10000:LTSP 002:/home/ltsp002:/bin/bash:::::
create:ltsp003:edubuntu:1003:10000:LTSP 003:/home/ltsp003:/bin/bash:::::
create:ltsp004:edubuntu:1004:10000:LTSP 004:/home/ltsp004:/bin/bash:::::
[and so on]

"This form allows you to create, modify or delete many users at once
from an uploaded or local text file. Each line in the file specifies one
action to take, depending on its first field. The line formats are :

create:usernameasswd:uid:gid:realname:homedir:sh ell:min:max:warn:inactive:expire

modifyldusername:usernameasswd:uid:gid:realnam e:homedir:shell:min:max:warn:inactive:expire

delete:username"

We used this form also with openLDAP server in our workshop. Webmin is
great tool.

www.webmin.com

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Sameer Verma

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up LTSP on Intrepid using nubae's fatclient plug-in.
> http://nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid
>
> I'd like to populate the server with 40 accounts for my class. What
> are some recommended ways? Should I look into iTALC or something
> similar?
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

I just chatted with David Van Assche online and here's the conversation:
Sameer

<begin chat>

me: got a minute?
Sent at 10:19 AM on Monday
David: oh yeah sure
me: I just posted something to the edubuntu-users list... wanted to
ping you on iTALC for fatclient is that something worth looking into?
Sent at 10:31 AM on Monday
me: I also need to set up 40 odd accounts. I usually use the
createusers script for it...do you have any other suggestions?
David: yeah sure thing
ub understand how the accounts are currently managed right?
me: yeah.
They are setup on the server and copied into the .img when I run
ltsp-update-image
Sent at 10:33 AM on Monday
David: actuallly even more real time than that, since that procedure
runs in the smae way as lts.conf variables can be changed without
re-running the image
me: ok
David: so what happens is, u create a user on the server, and then a
little subscript copies over its details and group details to the
client's .passwd. .group and .shadow
me: ok
David: a cron job synchs the 2 every 5 minutes, but if u need the
account even quicker,l simply reboot the thin client and on startup
its pushed.... or u could execute the synchin script manually
Sent at 10:37 AM on Monday
David: I usually dont need to add new accounts affter the image
creation process, so to be honest, this hasnt been fully tested,
though Iirc I did test restarting thin client to synch accounts
is that what u meant?
me: ok.
I'll test it out and see if it works
If you don't mind I'll send this conversation to the list for archival purposes
David: yes please do
me: thx
David: italc, though, is still great and usable, albeit for different purposes
me: yeah, I've read a bit about it, but never used it
Sent at 10:40 AM on Monday

<end chat>

Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
David Van Assche

I want to echo Asmio's sentiments.. Webmin got a bit of a bad rap in
ed/ubuntu circles. It was basically considered evil and insecure and
messed with your config files in an irreverible way. Then there were
tej falso rumours of it not being maintained for 2 years (totallyy
untrue) I've been using it for over 2 years from ldap management (u
cannot beat its simplicity for this btw) and for squid, firewall, user
and group creation, quota managemnt... u name it. The folks in
#ubuntu-devel seem to know what they are talking about and recommended
I install e-box instead, arguing it was less invasive and didnt touch
the configuration files.

Boy was that further from the truth than I had ever imagined. Upon
installation, it basically takes over every service, uninstalling and
installing at will without asking. It then decides to use completely
differenet config files in no way linked to the old ones (so goodbye
command line editting), and worst of all, installs a completely
unfamiliar dashboard that looks more like a a computer wide conrtol
panel with no possibility of it workin along side anything else...

Webmin, is simply a web interface to your existing config files... It
is modular, does its job very well and far from what people say about
it, it is not intrussive and it security is completely controlled by
the user... u dont have to turn it on to the outside world if u dont
want to!

/endrant

Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
"R. Scott Belford"

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to echo Asmio's sentiments..

Ditto, David and Asmo, on Webmin.

I have always loved webmin partly because it parsed my existing /etc/
files to give me a usable menu. If I did not know where a config file
was located, then I could just look at Webmin's module config. This
is priceless when you are first trying to wrap your head around the
whole Admin concept. More 'elite' sysadmins have scoffed, but it is
precisely the kind of tool that newcomers need and welcome.

There is no shame in learning, and learning should be as easy as possible.

--scott

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Jordan Erickson

Just to play Devil's advocate, I'd have to say that my limited webmin
experience wasn't a good one, though it was only dealing with bind. It
created different zone files, separate from existing ones, and kind of
fudged my whole server. I ditched it from there. Apart from that, I'm
sure it's a nice tool, but many of the plugins seem to be nothing more
than a web-based text editor to the files. Not a whole lot of "let's
make this simpler than editing the config by hand" going on with many of
the plugins.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
David Groos

This might be a good time to intro a script that Don wrote to help out my project.* I needed an easy* (read: easy for teachers) way to enter in large lists of students as users.* It's pretty slick and has some handy options for me as a teacher.* He wrote up some documentation to go along with it.* I found it very easy to use.* He is quite happy with sharing it and I don't know the path to share things like this so I'll ask that question to this edubuntu-users crew.* What can I do to share the attached script?

(I can't find the docs at this time--if it looks like something you are interested in I'll accelerate the search for them!)

David