Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
"John Hansen"

Default USB flash drives are visible to everyone

We recently upgraded to Hardy, and after updating the chroot, USB drives are
mounting successfully. However, now anyone logged onto a thin client can see
other users USB sticks mounted on their desktops. Only the user of that USB
stick can read the device, but it appears on everyones desktop that is logged in.

For example, if there are 30 students logged into thin clients, and 15 mount
their USB sticks, then all 15 show up on the 30 users desktops that are
currently logged in. Only the owner of that device can read/write to their
device, others only see it on their desktop. Their data is still secure, but
it's annoying.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

-----------
John Hansen
Director of IT
Cotter Schools
1115 W. Broadway
Winona, MN 55987
(507) 453-5000 ext. 5199
support@winonacotter.org

Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:38:19AM -0600, John Hansen wrote:
> We recently upgraded to Hardy, and after updating the chroot, USB drives are
> mounting successfully. However, now anyone logged onto a thin client can see
> other users USB sticks mounted on their desktops. Only the user of that USB
> stick can read the device, but it appears on everyones desktop that is logged in.

> Any suggestions?

Are all your students in the same primary group? Usually this is what causes
this. Typically, in modern Linuxes, each user should have their own primary
group the same as their userid.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things
Systems Department | are infinitely the most important.