Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 AM
Butch Arias

Default Changing IP address of DHCP and LTSP servers

Dear Users,

With a hardware change, our gateway was also changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. I assume that this would mean we need to change the DHCP server from 192.168.0.X to 192.168.1.X. I have seen posts changing from 192.168.0.X to 192.168.0.Y, should I use the same procedure? I want the DHCP server (which is also the LTSP, File, and Print-server) to use 192.168.1.X in order to use our new gateway.

The gateway's IP address could not be changed to 192.168.0.X (hardware reasons) which means it will be the DHCP/LTSP Edubuntu server's IP cpnfigurations would need the IP address changed. Ideally, the range of the address to be used should be from 192.168.1.200 through 192.168.1.250 (for the Edubuntu in the computer laboratory) as the lower numbers are reserved for the other departments and wireless users.

Should I anticipate any problems in this change of IP address of the Edubuntu server? Thank you in advance.

Butch Arias

Saint Philomena School
Lucena City, Philippines

Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Mickey Moore

I am confused. Do you have 2 NICs in your LTSP, one connected to a switch which all your thin clients connect to, and one connected to the rest of your internal network? Or do you have only one NIC and every device thin client or not shares the same network address range?

In my setup I have 2 NICs as above and as long as they use different address ranges everything is fine.