Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Sameer Verma

Default Using nubae fatclient

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, considering fatclient is not 'officially' supported, bug reports
> are a bit irrelevant, though I would welcome any help with getting the
> script working under Hardy. To be honest I haven't looked at the
> fatclient script in a while, but I'll set up a test environment with
> hardy and go from there. I'll let you know where I get stuck, and if
> you can help, that would be much appreciated. Last time I checked, one
> couldn't even get to the ldm screen if I remember correctly.
>
> kind Regards,
> David Van Assche
> www.nubae.com

Since the fatclient script from nubae is not officially supported, I'm
not sure where I should post questions. I'm going to post them here
and hope I can get some answers. I'm trying out the fatclient script
from http://www.nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid
(David's site) and get a bunch of errors. I took a few photos of the
thin client when it boots up (I couldn't capture the log on the thin
client because the system becomes unusable quickly). Photos are at
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/files/ltsp-fatclient-errors.zip

My questions:

1) When running the script as indicated on the site, I get to a point
where it asks for main user with root privileges. I am assuming this
is the user on the server who has root privileges via sudo?

2) What went wrong? (see photos at
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/files/ltsp-fatclient-errors.zip)

Any help would be great. The default thin client works fine, but the
server gets overloaded when using multimedia apps, which is what we'll
be doing this semester (begins next week). If nothing works, I'll fall
back to the default thin client.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University

Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, considering fatclient is not 'officially' supported, bug reports
>> are a bit irrelevant, though I would welcome any help with getting the
>> script working under Hardy. To be honest I haven't looked at the
>> fatclient script in a while, but I'll set up a test environment with
>> hardy and go from there. I'll let you know where I get stuck, and if
>> you can help, that would be much appreciated. Last time I checked, one
>> couldn't even get to the ldm screen if I remember correctly.
>>
>> kind Regards,
>> David Van Assche
>> www.nubae.com
>
> Since the fatclient script from nubae is not officially supported, I'm
> not sure where I should post questions. I'm going to post them here
> and hope I can get some answers. I'm trying out the fatclient script
> from http://www.nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid
> (David's site) and get a bunch of errors. I took a few photos of the
> thin client when it boots up (I couldn't capture the log on the thin
> client because the system becomes unusable quickly). Photos are at
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/files/ltsp-fatclient-errors.zip
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) When running the script as indicated on the site, I get to a point
> where it asks for main user with root privileges. I am assuming this
> is the user on the server who has root privileges via sudo?
>
> 2) What went wrong? (see photos at
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/files/ltsp-fatclient-errors.zip)
>
> Any help would be great. The default thin client works fine, but the
> server gets overloaded when using multimedia apps, which is what we'll
> be doing this semester (begins next week). If nothing works, I'll fall
> back to the default thin client.
>
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

One more thing. In my setup, eth0 is 192.168.0.254 and eth1 is the
external IP. In looking at the script, I got a sense that the eth
assignments should have been the other way round. Is this correct?

Sameer

Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
David Van Assche

Yeah asking on the list is fine... or private to me otherwise... but
this way others can benefit from the messages too. First... can u tell
me your infrastructure (server, release, TC details.) I'll take a look
at the errors u are getting now and post on that soon.

David (nubae)

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:47 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah asking on the list is fine... or private to me otherwise... but
> this way others can benefit from the messages too. First... can u tell
> me your infrastructure (server, release, TC details.)

Server is a Dell Precision 670 with 4GB of RAM and Dual Xeon processors.

Thin clients are Dell Optiplex 745 with 2GB RAM and Intel Core 2 duo
processors, connected to the server via a Netgear switch.

Sameer

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
David Van Assche

From what I can see, u are very close. The problem u have is that you
have not created the nfs based home dirs to be able to share
/home/username/.

U should be doing this (taken from my site):

sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-kernel-server nfs-common
echo "/home 192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)" | sudo tee -a
/etc/exports /dev/null
sudo exportfs -a

Also, as u correctly guessed, eth1 is normally the internal IP... so
switch those 2 around either in the script, or in the server....

kind Regards,
David

Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I can see, u are very close. The problem u have is that you
> have not created the nfs based home dirs to be able to share
> /home/username/.
>
> U should be doing this (taken from my site):
>
> sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-kernel-server nfs-common
> echo "/home 192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)" | sudo tee -a
> /etc/exports /dev/null
> sudo exportfs -a

I've done this. I tried it a second time, but got duplicate entries. I
fixed those manually. When I sudo exportfs -a I get

exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or
'no_subtree_check' specified for export "192.168.0.0/24:/home".
Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

> Also, as u correctly guessed, eth1 is normally the internal IP... so
> switch those 2 around either in the script, or in the server....

I switched these in the script. I'm rebuilding the client. Let's see
what happens...

Another thing to note is that it takes forever to re-download packages
and build images, so I installed apt-cacher and that thing is an
absolute boon! Now rebuilding images from scratch are a cinch!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/BuildLTSPWithAptCacher

Sameer

Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
>> From what I can see, u are very close. The problem u have is that you
>> have not created the nfs based home dirs to be able to share
>> /home/username/.
>>
>> U should be doing this (taken from my site):
>>
>> sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-kernel-server nfs-common
>> echo "/home 192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)" | sudo tee -a
>> /etc/exports /dev/null
>> sudo exportfs -a
>>

> I've done this. I tried it a second time, but got duplicate entries. I
> fixed those manually. When I sudo exportfs -a I get
>
> exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or
> 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "192.168.0.0/24:/home".
> Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
> NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x
>

>> Also, as u correctly guessed, eth1 is normally the internal IP... so
>> switch those 2 around either in the script, or in the server....
>
> I switched these in the script. I'm rebuilding the client. Let's see
> what happens...

It worked!!!

The NFS part was fine. It was a mixup in the IPs of eth0 and eth1.
Mine were assigned the other way around. Local mounting of USB drive
works well too!

I'll report back with more details after palying with a few more
options in the script.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Sameer Verma

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From what I can see, u are very close. The problem u have is that you
>>> have not created the nfs based home dirs to be able to share
>>> /home/username/.
>>>
>>> U should be doing this (taken from my site):
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-kernel-server nfs-common
>>> echo "/home 192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)" | sudo tee -a
>>> /etc/exports /dev/null
>>> sudo exportfs -a
>>>

>> I've done this. I tried it a second time, but got duplicate entries. I
>> fixed those manually. When I sudo exportfs -a I get
>>
>> exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or
>> 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "192.168.0.0/24:/home".
>> Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
>> NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x
>>

>>> Also, as u correctly guessed, eth1 is normally the internal IP... so
>>> switch those 2 around either in the script, or in the server....
>>
>> I switched these in the script. I'm rebuilding the client. Let's see
>> what happens...
>>

> It worked!!!
>
> The NFS part was fine. It was a mixup in the IPs of eth0 and eth1.
> Mine were assigned the other way around. Local mounting of USB drive
> works well too!
>
> I'll report back with more details after palying with a few more
> options in the script.
>
>> Another thing to note is that it takes forever to re-download packages
>> and build images, so I installed apt-cacher and that thing is an
>> absolute boon! Now rebuilding images from scratch are a cinch!
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/BuildLTSPWithAptCacher
>>
>> Sameer
>>>
>>> kind Regards,
>>> David

Couple of problems to report.

1) Plugging in a USB key works fine. It automounts and shows up in
Nautilus. It also shows up when I run the 'mount' command. When I
unmount it in Nautilus, the icon still shows on the desktop, but mount
says its unmounted (no listing). Upon doing a second unmount from
Nautilus, it says the device is not mounted. The icon remains on the
desktop.

2) If I log out and then shutdown from gdm, it works fine, but if I
shutdown from within the session directly, it hangs. No keyboard, no
mouse, but the desktop remains on the screen. There is also a telltale
sound from the client which happens when the machine shuts down. Its
almost like the client shut down, but forgot to tell the monitor ;-)

Other than that, it works great. Very impressive indeed!!!

Sameer