Old 12-26-2007, 04:27 AM
"DB Clinton"

Default Thin client configuration problems

Hi,
I'm a Linux newbie trying to use my desktop Edubuntu as a thin-client server for the other computers in my house. Because I was a bit nervous with partitioning my hard drive (there's WinXP running there too), I loaded the desktop version of Edubuntu (
7.1.0)* through Wubi (whose alpha version didn't support the server edition). Configuration has been, shall we say, a challenge.
Despite booting the clients to a rom-o-matic CD or (in the case of the computer whose BIOS supports booting to a network device) to the NIC, none has even got to the poing of being successfully assigned an IP address.

I suppose it's possible that there's something wrong with the rom-o-matic CD I burned (or the other system's BIOS), but the fact that there are still basic unresolved issues with the NICs on the server suggests I should address those first:

I think there's something wrong with my NIC configuration. At present, both eth0 (attached to my DSL modem) and eth1 (attached to my wired LAN) are controlled by DHCP - but I've tried all kinds of other combinations to no effect.

I'm trying to use Firestarter as my router but Firestarter always fails on start, claiming that the eth1 connection isn't ready. During Firestarter's setup wizard, the DHCP settings section is grayed-out.

In addition, I haven't been able to link to the LAN computers (while they're running Windows) through Samba (the appropriate Windows network name does appear in smb.conf).
Regarding my Internet connection: on boot, Ubuntu loads what appears to be the correct ip info for my DSL provider on ppp0, but nevertheless provides only crippled access (the network connection manager shows a very limited number of packets being up and down loaded and, practically, I can't actually load anything in a browser). Running poff in terminal doesn't work as I get a "no pppd process for provider 'ppp0'" message. pon dsl-provider does activate a working Internet session on ppp1 using, for all intents and purposes, the same ip info (except that my ISP provides a new dynamic ip address).

I really appreciate any help.
David Clinton
Here are some conf files:
=============
dhcpd.conf
# DHCP configuration generated by Firestarter
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
*** option routers 192.168.1.111;
*** option subnet-mask
255.255.255.0;
*** option domain-name-servers 216.254.141.13, 209.90.160.220;
*** option ip-forwarding off;
*** range dynamic-bootp
192.168.0.100 192.168.0.254;
*** default-lease-time 21600;
*** max-lease-time 43200;
}
=============
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
*** range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250
;
*** option domain-name "example.com";
*** option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
*** option broadcast-address
192.168.0.255;
*** option routers 192.168.0.1;
#*** next-server 192.168.0.254;
#*** get-lease-hostnames true;
*** option subnet-mask
255.255.255.0;
*** option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
*** if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
******* filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
*** } else {

******* filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
*** }
}
========================
etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo eth1 eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto dsl-provider

iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, DB Clinton wrote:

> Because I was a bit nervous with partitioning my hard drive (there's
> WinXP running there too), I loaded the desktop version of Edubuntu
> (7.1.0) through Wubi (whose alpha version didn't support the server
> edition). Configuration has been, shall we say, a challenge.

If you get a chance some time you might explore the standard installer
which allows you to resize partitions. Of course, you're right to be
cautious. :-)

> has even got to the poing of being successfully assigned an IP address.

Sounds like your DHCP isn't working. If you run the command:
ps aux |grep dhcp

you should get a line something like:

dhcpd 26556 0.0 0.1 2920 612 ? Ss Dec03 0:00 /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 -q eth0 -pf /var/run/dhcp3-server/dhcpd.pid -cf /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

If not, your dhcp server isn't running.

> I think there's something wrong with my NIC configuration. At present, both
> eth0 (attached to my DSL modem) and eth1 (attached to my wired LAN) are
> controlled by DHCP - but I've tried all kinds of other combinations to no
> effect.

eth1 needs to run a DHCP server, so it shouldn't use DHCP, it needs to have
a static ip address. Also, the fact that there is another DHCP server on
that eth1's network is a cause for concern -- you shouldn't usually have
two dhcp servers on one network.

This may be the reason for your problems above.

> I'm trying to use Firestarter as my router but Firestarter always fails on
> start, claiming that the eth1 connection isn't ready. During Firestarter's
> setup wizard, the DHCP settings section is grayed-out.

I'd be inclined to turn off Firestarter for the time you're doing this.

> In addition, I haven't been able to link to the LAN computers (while they're
> running Windows) through Samba (the appropriate Windows network name does
> appear in smb.conf).

Can you ping them by ip address? Samba is a rather complex thing which can
fail for a multitude of reasons.

> Regarding my Internet connection: on boot, Ubuntu loads what appears to be
> the correct ip info for my DSL provider on ppp0, but nevertheless provides
> only crippled access (the network connection manager shows a very limited
> number of packets being up and down loaded and, practically, I can't
> actually load anything in a browser). Running poff in terminal doesn't work
> as I get a "no pppd process for provider 'ppp0'" message. pon dsl-provider
> does activate a working Internet session on ppp1 using, for all intents and
> purposes, the same ip info (except that my ISP provides a new dynamic ip
> address).

What is the output of the command
route -n

in particular, is the ppp device your default route (0.0.0.0)?

Gavin

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Thanks for your email. I'll be away on leave until 7th Jan.
Have a safe and happy Christmas

Rob Shugg

Old 12-27-2007, 09:48 PM
"DB Clinton"

Thanks for the reply!

On 12/27/07, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, DB Clinton wrote:

> Because I was a bit nervous with partitioning my hard drive (there's
> WinXP running there too), I loaded the desktop version of Edubuntu
> (7.1.0)**through Wubi (whose alpha version didn't support the server

> edition). Configuration has been, shall we say, a challenge.

If you get a chance some time you might explore the standard installer
which allows you to resize partitions.**Of course, you're right to be

cautious.**:-)
I*was*actually*only*one*keystroke*away*from*repart itioning*but*the*wording of the menu options was quite clear
enough to convince me that Ubuntu wasn't about to vaporize my Windows partition.

> has even got to the poing of being successfully assigned an IP address.

Sounds like your DHCP isn't working.**If you run the command:
********ps aux |grep dhcp
I*just*ran*it*and*it*looks*like*dhcp*is*working*fi ne.

> I think there's something wrong with my NIC configuration. At present, both
> eth0 (attached to my DSL modem) and eth1 (attached to my wired LAN) are
> controlled by DHCP - but I've tried all kinds of other combinations to no

> effect.

eth1 needs to run a DHCP server, so it shouldn't use DHCP, it needs to have
a static ip address.**Also, the fact that there is another DHCP server on
that eth1's network is a cause for concern -- you shouldn't usually have

two dhcp servers on one network.
I*changed*eth1*to*a*static*address*(192.168.0.254) .*

This may be the reason for your problems above.
Apparently*it*wasn't*that*alone.*I'm*still*getting *no*ip*assignments*for*my*client*(that*still returned the message "RPL-ROM-FFC" and then "no ip address" a number of times)*
I'm not sure this is relevant, but /var/log/syslog (from bootup time) reports

"eth1: no IPv6 routers present...can't find*host*npv.ubuntu.com...no*servers*can*be*used, *exiting"

> I'm trying to use Firestarter as my router but Firestarter always fails on
> start, claiming that the eth1 connection isn't ready. During Firestarter's
> setup wizard, the DHCP settings section is grayed-out.

I'd be inclined to turn off Firestarter for the time you're doing this.

> In addition, I haven't been able to link to the LAN computers (while they're
> running Windows) through Samba (the appropriate Windows network name does

> appear in smb.conf).

Can you ping them by ip address?**Samba is a rather complex thing which can
fail for a multitude of reasons.
I*have*managed*in*the*past*(at*least*one*way,*oddl y*enough)*but*right*now*they're*not*talking*at*all .*

> Regarding my Internet connection: on boot, Ubuntu loads what appears to be
> the correct ip info for my DSL provider on ppp0, but nevertheless provides
> only crippled access (the network connection manager shows a very limited

> number of packets being up and down loaded and, practically, I can't
> actually load anything in a browser). Running poff in terminal doesn't work
> as I get a "no pppd process for provider 'ppp0'" message. pon dsl-provider

> does activate a working Internet session on ppp1 using, for all intents and
> purposes, the same ip info (except that my ISP provides a new dynamic ip
> address).

What is the output of the command

********route -n

in particular, is the ppp device your default route (0.0.0.0)?
There*are*two*entries*for*ppp0*(216.254.132.30
/ 255.255.255.255 / UH and 0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 / U)**
and one for eth1 (192.168.0.0 /
255.255.255.0 / U)Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Gavin McCullagh

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, DB Clinton wrote:

> > Sounds like your DHCP isn't working. If you run the command:
> > ps aux |grep dhcp
>
> I just ran it and it looks like dhcp is working fine.

Well, it's running but perhaps not fine. Make sure there's a line with
dhcpd in it. I get three lines, one for "dhclient" one for "grep dhcp" and
one for "dhcpd3". The last is my dhcp server.

dhcp 3073 0.0 0.1 2456 576 ? S Nov08 0:00 /sbin/dhclient -1 -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth1.leases -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth1.pid -q -e dhc_dbus=31 -d eth1
gavin 10300 0.0 0.1 2884 764 pts/1 R+ 13:51 0:00 grep dhcp
dhcpd 26556 0.0 0.0 2920 280 ? Ss Dec03 0:00 /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 -q eth0 -pf /var/run/dhcp3-server/dhcpd.pid -cf /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

> > eth1 needs to run a DHCP server, so it shouldn't use DHCP, it needs to
> > have a static ip address. Also, the fact that there is another DHCP
> > server on that eth1's network is a cause for concern -- you shouldn't
> > usually have two dhcp servers on one network.
>
> I changed eth1 to a static address (192.168.0.254).

Okay but is there another dhcp server on that network? That will
definitely cause problems.

> Apparently it wasn't that alone. I'm still getting no ip assignments for
> my client (that still returned the message "RPL-ROM-FFC" and then "no ip
> address" a number of times)

That suggests to me that either your dhcp server is not running on the
interface facing the clients or there's something wrong with the network
(ie a bad cable, etc.). On the server run:

sudo tcpdump -i eth1 udp port 68 or port 67

and then try rebooting a client. If the above command reports no packets,
you need to look at your network cards, etc. and see is there really a link
between the server and clients.

> "eth1: no IPv6 routers present...can't find host npv.ubuntu.com...no
> servers can be used, exiting"

I guess that's ntp not npv. It shouldn't be relevant to this discussion.
Your ppp link isn't working so you can't set the time off the online
server.

> > Can you ping them by ip address? Samba is a rather complex thing which
> > can fail for a multitude of reasons.
>
> I have managed in the past (at least one way, oddly enough) but right
> now they're not talking at all.

Okay, you need to look at the network I think. Once you can set compatible
ip addresses and ping across the wires, then dhcp and booting have some
chance.

> There are two entries for ppp0 (216.254.132.30 / 255.255.255.255 / UH and
> 0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 / U)
> and one for eth1 (192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 / U)

It would be preferable if you copy and paste the output, though I guess
maybe you have no net access on that machine. Paraphrased descriptions
like this can be misleading. That said, the above sounds okay. Can you
ping your DNS server (which you should see listed in /etc/resolv.conf)?

Gavin

Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 PM

Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
"DB Clinton"

Hi again,

> > Sounds like your DHCP isn't working.**If you run the command:
> >******** ps aux |grep dhcp
>
> I just ran it and it looks like dhcp is working fine.

Well, it's running but perhaps not fine.**Make sure there's a line with

dhcpd in it.
Here's*my*actual*output*(I*was*actually*having*tro uble*passing*clipboard*data*between*programs*yeste rday)*:
=====
dhcp 6046 0.0 0.0 2412 740 ? S<s 10:18 0:00 dhclient3 -e IF_METRIC=100 -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0

dhcpd 6386 0.0 0.1 2872 972 ? S<s 10:18 0:00 /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 -q -pf /var/run/dhcp3-server/dhcpd.pid -cf /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
1000 7294 0.0 0.0 2976 752 pts/0 R+ 10:23 0:00 grep dhcp

=====

> > eth1 needs to run a DHCP server, so it shouldn't use DHCP, it needs to
> > have a static ip address.**Also, the fact that there is another DHCP
> > server on that eth1's network is a cause for concern -- you shouldn't

> > usually have two dhcp servers on one network.
>
> I changed eth1 to a static address (192.168.0.254).

Okay but is there another dhcp server on that network?**That will

definitely cause problems.
I*tried*booting*with*nothing*else*running on*the*LAN*with*the*same*results.*

> Apparently it wasn't that alone. I'm still getting no ip assignments for
> my client (that still returned the message "RPL-ROM-FFC" and then "no ip
> address" a number of times)

That suggests to me that either your dhcp server is not running on the
interface facing the clients or there's something wrong with the network
(ie a bad cable, etc.).**On the server run:

sudo tcpdump -i eth1 udp port 68 or port 67

and then try rebooting a client.**If the above command reports no packets,
you need to look at your network cards, etc. and see is there really a link
between the server and clients.
Here*are*those*results:

=====
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
=====
Nother else showed up (even though I tried booting two separate clients).

> > Can you ping them by ip address?**Samba is a rather complex thing which
> > can fail for a multitude of reasons.
>
> I have managed in the past (at least one way, oddly enough) but right

> now they're not talking at all.

Okay, you need to look at the network I think.**Once you can set compatible
ip addresses and ping across the wires, then dhcp and booting have some
chance.

I*should*mention*that*this*is*already*a*fairly*suc cessful*LAN*linking*various*flavors*of*Windows*(my *WinXP*server*and*a*number
of*Win2K*and*Win98se*boxes).*The*"thin*clients"*I* want*to*use*actually*have*Windows*hard*drives*whic h*I'd*like*to*bypass*with*

network*boots*to*Ubuntu.*Which*means*that,*while*I 've*had*some*connectivity*issues*over the years (and the two 98se boxes upstairs*can*conflict*with*each*other*from*time*to *time*causing*some*lost*packets)*the*network*archi tecture*is basically*sound.

> There are two entries for ppp0 (216.254.132.30 / 255.255.255.255 / UH and
> 0.0.0.0 /
0.0.0.0 / U)
> and one for eth1 (192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 / U)

It would be preferable if you copy and paste the output, though I guess

maybe you have no net access on that machine.**Paraphrased descriptions
like this can be misleading.**That said, the above sounds okay.**Can you
ping your DNS server (which you should see listed in /etc/resolv.conf)?

I'm*not*sure*this*is*a*problem,*but*I*can*see*a*fo lder*/etc/resolvconf*but*no*resolv.conf*file*(only**ahavi-daemon).
I reinstalled resolvconf through synaptic - and there is now a whole whack of files in that folder that weren't there before - and I'm going to try restarting Edubuntu now (I never know which updates

require reboot and which don't...)
Thanks!
David

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, DB Clinton wrote:

> > Okay but is there another dhcp server on that network? That will
> > definitely cause problems.
>
> I tried booting with nothing else running on the LAN with the same results.

Fair enough. Do bear in mind though that once you get things running, you
should have only one dhcp server.

> > sudo tcpdump -i eth1 udp port 68 or port 67

> Here are those results:
> =====
> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
> listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
> =====
> Nother else showed up (even though I tried booting two separate clients).

Okay, so the dhcp request are not getting to the server. This suggests
there is probably no physical link between them. Incompatible ip addresses
wouldn't stop dhcp broadcasts getting across.

> > Okay, you need to look at the network I think. Once you can set
> > compatible ip addresses and ping across the wires, then dhcp and
> > booting have some chance.
>
> I should mention that this is already a fairly successful LAN linking
> various flavors of Windows (my WinXP server and a number of Win2K and
> Win98se boxes). The "thin clients" I want to use actually have Windows
> hard drives which I'd like to bypass with network boots to Ubuntu.

So, can you boot windows and ping the linux machine? I suspect not. You
can do

sudo tcpdump -i eth1 icmp

to spot ping packets arriving to eth1.

> Which means that, while I've had some connectivity issues over the years
> (and the two 98se boxes upstairs can conflict with each other from time
> to time causing some lost packets) the network architecture is basically
> sound.

Well, there's something wrong here. It could be firestarter is blocking
things (you turned it off right?), but I think tcpdump as a raw socket user
would see things before the firewall blocked them.

Make sure you have link lights on the network cards. Make sure you have
eth1 and eth0 plugged into the right networks (you can ping each
interface's own ip and watch the light flash to see which is which).

If you can't ping the linux machine from windows and see the icmp packets
on the tcpdump, I'd be inclined to say there's something wrong with the
network or something very strange wrong with the linux machine.

Gavin

Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM
"DB Clinton"

Can you ping your DNS server (which you should see listed in /etc/resolv.conf)?
I'm*not*sure*this*is*a*problem,*but*I*can*see*a*fo lder*/etc/resolvconf*but*no*resolv.conf*file*(only**ahavi-daemon).

I reinstalled resolvconf through synaptic - and there is now a whole whack of files in that folder that weren't there before - and I'm going to try restarting Edubuntu now (I never know which updates
require reboot and which don't...)

I*rebooted*and*I had no*problem*pinging*both*resolve.conf*addresses.*
Thanks

Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 PM