Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM
uwe

Default problems pidgin with ltsp server

hello everybody,

I have one ltsp 5 server at school and 15 kids. I wanted to introduce
them to using pidgin via the bonjour protokol for chating with each
other.

so I was walking around to each kid - one by one - to set there session
up. after the 10th computer, the kids where not able to connect anymore.
I don't have the exact error message, but if I remember well it reported
a socket/port error. also, rebooting the thin clients did not help.
those who worked also continued to work properly.

I also started pidgin from the terminal to see if there were any further
error messages appearing but there weren't.

has somebody an idea?

thanks,

uwe

Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 AM
"David Van Assche"

Hi Uwe,
You are probably best off installing a jabber server on the LTSP
server and routing all the kids chat sessions through that. Local
connections tend to drop off after 15-20 concurrent users. I use
ejabberd for xmpp (jabber) connections, and using a client like
empathy u can even do video/audio chat across the local network.

kind Regards,
David Van Assche
www.nubae.com

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Fabian Rodriguez

uwe wrote:
> hello everybody,
>
> I have one ltsp 5 server at school and 15 kids. I wanted to introduce
> them to using pidgin via the bonjour protokol for chating with each
> other.
>
> so I was walking around to each kid - one by one - to set there session
> up. after the 10th computer, the kids where not able to connect anymore.
> I don't have the exact error message, but if I remember well it reported
> a socket/port error. also, rebooting the thin clients did not help.
> those who worked also continued to work properly.
>
> I also started pidgin from the terminal to see if there were any further
> error messages appearing but there weren't.
>
> has somebody an idea?

Hi there,

You can start Pidgin from command line without automatically enabling
its configured accounts with:
pidgin -n

You can also start Pidgin in debug mode like this:
pidgin -d

Once in Debug mode, error messages will hint you at any possible plugin
or protocol problem.

The -n option will then let you start Pidgin and correct any problems
(disable a plugin completely, properly configure a protocol, etc).

If you have specific technical questions about Pidgin you can also ask here:
https://answers.launchpad.net/~pidgin-rocks

Cheers,

- --
Fabian Rodriguez, Ubuntu Systems Senior Support Analyst
Canonical Corporate Services, Montreal, QC, Canada
http://landscape.canonical.com

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM
uwe

thank you fabian. I will give it a try and let you know.

rgds,

uwe

Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
uwe

thank you david.

If I can't get pidgin to work, I will try ejabberd as you suggested. A
first test at home did work for me - although I could not get the
webadmin working.

I will keep you updated.

rgds,

uwe